Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 
FriesianFury

Grumpy beta at feeding time

Here is my beautiful Beta, he is a little mean when its feeding time and tries to show who is boss of the tanks when being feed.

Im thinking about getting another floating tank to put inside my tank for another beta and even get a 5gl tank for kitchen table too but in the mean time enjoy my guy showing who is king as he displays him self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6WHl...layer_embedded
FriesianFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Cute little guy!

However, goldfish and bettas shouldn't be housed together. Even if the betta is in a breeder trap. They have very very different requirements, so they just don't make good tank mates.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #3 
FriesianFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Cute little guy!

However, goldfish and bettas shouldn't be housed together. Even if the betta is in a breeder trap. They have very very different requirements, so they just don't make good tank mates.

Oh I agree but he has been in that floating tank for a year with him never in the large tank freely with the goldfish, he attacks there fins to much. Other then that he seems to be ok and the gold fish never bug him to much or go around his tank till its feeding time. My tank stays at temp of 75 all year around with water changes every few months, since i know goldfish are dirty fish.

I was thinking about putting him in a plant beta jar with the plant on top but not sure how well he would adjust to it since he has been so use to a filter aired tank
Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Water changes every few MONTHS?

It sounds like it should be more like every week. Goldfish are THAT dirty!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #5 
FriesianFury

I know how dirty they are ive had gold fish most of my life. I have a special high power filter in there tank to also help keep there tank clean. Plus the goldfish only get feed every few days not every day (beta a few pellets a day and whats not eaten taken out). I also clean the rocks once a month but not empty out the water. They get a 30% water change yes every few months not every few weeks. This set up that I have has been running like this for a few years and I have not had a problem and the fish has never gotten sick.

Edit: also wanted to clarify that I also test and treat there water as well ;)

Last edited by FriesianFury; 04-01-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Are you keeping that fish in that little box? That is way to small and your fish has sever tail damage that needs to be treated with high temps (82*F) and aquarium salt. Bettas do best in temperatures 78*-80*F and I've heard goldfish are cold water fish preferring temps in the low 70*s or 60*s (Kelly528 would know for sure).

Also bettas need lots of places to hide to feel comfortable, plants and caves and even tinted water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #7 
FriesianFury

i thought crowntail betas had tails as he does? His tail has always been that way since ive had him for the past year and when I bought him.

"The optimum temperature range is sixty-eight to seventy-five degrees. Some breeds prefer slightly warmer temperatures." my tank sets no higher then 75 but it does drop to 73 from time to time depending on the weather and temp in the house

Last edited by FriesianFury; 04-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

68 is way too cold.Bettas are tropical fish. They need temps around 76 to 82 degrees.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #9 
FriesianFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
68 is way too cold.Bettas are tropical fish. They need temps around 76 to 82 degrees.

my tank does not set at 68
Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

68-75* is too cold for bettas IMO the lowest temp a betta should be in is 77-78*F with 80* being ideal.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote