Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta novice

2K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

Today I randomly bought a betta fish for $10 at my college campus and I have no idea how to take care of it. It came with some food and a really small jar (12 fl oz.) and a piece of small paper with a link to a website http://www.davessodaandpetcity.com/pdf/care-betta.pdf that has basic facts about betta fish. This weekend I am definitely buying a bigger tank but I live in a dorm so it can't be too big. I need to get a tank soon because its trying to jump out of the jar :shock:

Can you guys fill me in on how to take care of my betta fish and other things I need?

#3 · (Edited)
This FAQ has some nice information on general betta care and will probably answer most of your questions if you haven't read it already: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

EDIT - I see you've stumbled upon this yourself. ^

But in short: The general consensus on this forum is that bettas should be kept in a minimum of 2 gallons of water, though anything 5 gallons and over would be best. A filter isn't a requirement unless you plan on cycling your tank, but a heater is to keep your temperature consistent. As well, you'll need some sort of water conditioner to make your tap water - or whatever source you use - safe for your fish; I use Tetra Aqua Bettasafe. Here's a thread I dug up (that doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves) which covers all the necessities to keep your tank inhabitable: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=39100

Other than that, you'll just need some food, and some aquarium salt to keep on hand. As far as food goes, I think pellets and bloodworms are preferred over flakes and should be fed to your fish once or twice a day - how much varies. The salt is just for treating any problems you may come across though can be added to your water regardless. I don't know if you'll need a water test kit for a small, uncycled tank, but I'm sure someone else will have an opinion.

By the way, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new fish! Feel free to share pictures.

#4 ·
Thanks. I may get the tank tomorrow because its really trying to get out of the jar. I have lid that is covering half of the jar because it can actually reach the top. So i threw out some of the water but now its only in 10 fl oz. of water. This is really bad.

#6 ·
You shouldn't need a filter unless you're cycling it - but I don't think that's appropriate for a tank of that size (2.5 gallons). You'll have to do complete water changes at least once a week, filtered or not.

As for the heater, I'm not sure what voltage exactly, but I do know that you can get either the Hydor Mini Heater at most, if not all, pet stores, or a Tetra heater that I believe is most often sold at Walmart. Both provide adequate heating in smaller tanks and should keep the temperature at ~78 degrees.

Other things you might be interested in are some plants or other tank decor as bettas do enjoy places to hide. I wouldn't advise live plants, though, because with the frequent water changes and constant uprooting the plants wouldn't do well. You can, however, buy silk plants as long as the colors don't bleed, and they don't contain any wires or fragrances.

#7 ·
I ended up buying a 5 gallon that came with a filter, water conditioner, a liquid that removes nitrates and ammonia, a fish net, a hood that has a incandescent light bulb, food and a thermometer-all for $30. I got a 15% discount on the gravel too. The only thing is that I didn't cycle the tank. The container that my betta was in was so small (10 fl oz.) and he was in there for almost 2 days so he really needed more space....I bought a mini heater (the kind that you put on side of the tank) but it does not fit in my tank so I think I'm going to invest on a better heater, preferably one that has a thermostat. The one at my local petstore cost $20. Do you guys know of a good thermostat that I can order online that is cheaper than $20?

#10 ·
Do yourself a favor and get a submersible adjustable heater. I use a 50watt in my 5 gallon from Petco. I live in the Northeast so those heaters that come "preset" to 78 degrees didn't cut it in the winter.

Read up on the Nitrogen cycle and be very patient. I have tanks that took months to cycle but once you're there, it's just weekly maintenance after that.

Good luck with your new guy and welcome to the forum.

#12 · (Edited)
If you're going to buy plastic, be sure to test it by running over some panty-hose. If it snags, so will your bettas tail if they so happen to run up against it. Other people seem to fair better with plastic, but for me, all of my plastic plants ended up tearing up my betta's tails as they're much harder than silk plants. Bettas seem to love crowded tanks with lots of plants (not other fish, lol) and low current. Bettas can't stand strong current. I take it you bought the 5 gallon kit at Walmart? You can adjust the flow by pulling up the tube ... thing.

On the plants, buy as much as you can (I bought all of mine at Petco), and even if it's not a lot to start with, you can add one or two weekly, or every two weeks, instead of burning your money all at once. (And by crowding plants, I really do mean crowding plants). Don't worry if you think it's too much, if they're really silk plants, mine LOVE to brush up against them and pretend they're a mermaid or something, haha. The plants give a better sense of "this is MY territory", as they're quite territorial fish.

I'm not good with heater brands, sorry :) I used the Walmart Tetra (preset) brand. It does its job (but no more), keeps it at 77, but if I had the money I'd go get another.

To prevent constipation, pre-soak pellets and all freeze-dried foods in their tank water, with an unused medicine cup or anything similar, and soak for at least 1 minute. After that (as in longer than 1-2 min), they seem to start spitting it out because the pellet gets larger and they have trouble physically eating it after that. People normally advise to fast for one day to prevent constipation. You can do that, but I've never dealt with constipation and/or swim bladder disorder by pre-soaking all foods in garlic juice (it helps their immune systems and they love it) daily, 24/7, for all foods.

Good luck with him, and I love pictures :)

#13 ·
I think I might downgrade to a 2 or 1.5 gallon. My betta enjoys the space (although he keeps attacking the side of the tank because he sees his own reflection) but I think its going to be hard for me to maintain. I am a college student that lives in a dorm with a very busy schedule. It was hard for me to set up the tank because I need to go back and forth to the bathroom to fill the tank with water. Because I did not cycle the tank, I have clean the tank, the gravel and ornaments every week. I can't see myself carrying the tank into the bathroom to scrub it down. Is there an easier way? Any college students with big tanks?

#14 ·
If you want an easier maintenance, that's more if a reason not
to downgrade. Smaller tanks are more maintenance believe it
or not, as they're much more trouble to clean. It means
you have to do even more WCs

I would type a lot more, but I'm on an iTouch and its entirely troublesome. Hopefully someone will finish for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
If you want an easier maintenance, that's more if a reason not
to downgrade. Smaller tanks are more maintenance believe it
or not, as they're much more trouble to clean. It means
you have to do even more WCs
I think it may be easier to downgrade because with a smaller tank, there may not be a need to walk back and forth. They could just take the tank to the bathroom and empty/fill it right there. The amount of 100% water changes between a 2.5 gallon and uncycled 5 gallon would be about the same, right?

The two options I see that would be easiest: a smaller tank and doing water changes by taking the tank into the bathroom (instead of walking back and forth) OR a cycled 5 gallon with 25% water changes once a week.

#15 · (Edited)
Hopefully someone will finish for me.
I think what he's getting at is that with a smaller tank your ammonia would reach dangerous levels pretty quickly, thus forcing you to make more frequent water changes. I'd tough it out with the 5 gallon. You could do without any substrate in your tank which would eliminate a large portion of the work right there. (Right? lol)

Speaking of which, you don't need to cycle it. You said something in a previous post about not having cycled it before putting your betta in, and that's perfectly fine as long as you maintain regular water changes. Also, seeing as your only alternative housing arrangement for your betta is the 10oz jar, you don't really have the time, or resources, to let your tank cycle.

As for the heater, how does it not fit in a 5 gallon? Most should, I'd imagine, and most can lay horizontally in the tank if it's vertical length is a problem. Other than the stores already mentioned, I'm not sure where you could buy one. Craigslist, maybe? Aquabid? I have no idea. Might be able to find some decor options there as well if department stores don't seem to cut it. That, or you could make your own with some around-the-house items and a hot glue gun. Or throw in a mug. Or a planting pot. Etc.

Lastly, about the behavior you mentioned after placing your fish in the 5 gallon: mine acted the same - Roy Cherry even began tail biting. I corrected this, however, by adding several live plants and an additional plastic structure. I believe he acted this way because the tank was too open, and / or because he had not adjusted to his new environment yet.

Hope yours calms down and you're able to get yourself and your fish situated.

#17 ·
I guess I will stick out with the 5 gallon. Its makes no sense for me to buy an extra tank.

As for the heater, how does it not fit in a 5 gallon? Most should, I'd imagine, and most can lay horizontally in the tank if it's vertical length is a problem.
Its one of those vertical heaters that you fasten on the rim of the tank and it has to reach the waterline or else will be a fire hazard.
Its too short for my tank because i get it to reach to waterline, the water would pass the filter and touch the light bulb. I ordered a new one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00106X8QG/ref=oss_product

I also got these a few other things from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DIGTC/ref=oss_product
Damn :BIGshame: I just realized i order the wrong thing. I hope it won't hurt my betta's fins. I wanted this:
http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Floral-Cave-with-Plants/dp/B0002DIGS8/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_img_b

and I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Floral-Cave-with-Plants/dp/B0002DIGS8/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026FTPJE/ref=oss_product

I'm officially broke....

but I really want to buy these fake aqurium plants made out of silk/polyester on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ds=aquarium+silk+plants&sprefix=aquarium+silk

Lastly, about the behavior you mentioned after placing your fish in the 5 gallon: mine acted the same - Roy Cherry even began tail biting. I corrected this, however, by adding several live plants and an additional plastic structure. I believe he acted this way because the tank was too open, and / or because he had not adjusted to his new environment yet.

Hope yours calms down and you're able to get yourself and your fish situated.
I notice my fish likes to go under the filter and let the water push him down. I guess he's really bored.

#16 ·
How exactly do I clean a 5 gallon tank? and how often (its just one fish)? Does it have to be 100% water change because I didn't cycle? Am I suppose to pour all the water out, rinse the tank, gravel and ornaments with hot water, put everything back, fill it with water and then add the water conditioner? Would buying a bucket make it easier? Sorry for all the questions.... I just don't feel like walking down the hallway with this huge fish tank in my hands.

#20 · (Edited)
The decor looks fine and should occupy your tank nicely. Should the plants prove to be sharper than expected you could always cut them off though I don't see them being a problem.

And although I understand what it's like to be broke (as I've spent my fair share on my betta), I'm not in college and cannot empathize with your tank situation. I'm not sure how you'd manage, exactly, but I'd imagine you'll get some positive feedback in your other thread directed at the topic from those more experienced in that area. In my opinion, you could probably get away with one 100% water change a week, and possibly a 50% in between just to be on the safe side.

EDIT - An x% water change just means you suck out x amount of water to be replaced with fresh, conditioned water. So if it were a 25% or 50% water change you wouldn't have to do any cleaning - only if it's 100% would you need to remove and rinse everything.

Unless I'm wrong. Which I could be.

#23 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I bought my little betta right after I took two crazy exam on Thursday (I go to an academically intense university). It was kind of random and at first I kind of regretted it because I didn't factor in the time it would take to maintain and care for my fish. But I've gotten attached to it. I'm pretty sure someone at my school has like a 10 gallon tank somewhere. The girl who works at the pet store went to my school and she said she had a friend who had over 5 different types of animals (iguanas, gerbils, hamsters, etc.) and I've heard of people having animals they're not suppose to have (cat, dogs etc.)

#24 ·
Haha, yeah. They can be a bit of a chore sometimes, but they're so fun to have around. Their personalities are priceless - I've just discovered that Roy Cherry, who I thought was the most passive betta ever, will actually flare... but only at my Rubik's Cube.

#27 ·
(Btw I'm a girl ;) )

Well I don't do 100% but mines is cycled, so... But have you invested in a gravel vacuum / siphon / gravel cleaner ? It makes life easier, going through the gravel and everything, instead of going back and forth with a cup that will fit in a 5 gallon.

Soleilvie, I get what you're saying about it being easier, but yeah I was leaning with what Kittles said about the ammonia and whatnot. With a siphon it should be much easier - how are you doing your water changes, exactlY? (betta1485)

#29 ·
A gravel vacuum/siphon would make life easier....i guess I have to buy that at the pet store on Friday....I just got the tank last Friday so I didn't do any water changes yet...its going to be impossible if I dont get a bucket and a gravel vacuum.....Will my betta be okay if I hold off changing the water until Friday or Saturday?

#32 ·
Well you haven't added any plants yet right? The completely bare tank is probably taking a toll on him in some sort of way. Let's wait until you add in / crowd his tank with more plants.

And that's not exactly "normal" betta behavior (whatever normal really is, however.) If it's temporary I think its fine.

#33 · (Edited)
So I added a ornament/plant, a spongebob ornament, heater and a better thermometer than the one i had before to my tank today:

Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Filter

I also got a siphon which made cleaning the tank so easy

but I notice my betta has some white spots around its face and its gills are a little swollen...it looks like this black thing is coming out of its gills...he's been staying at the top corner of the tank for 10+ mins. and does not move (is he sleeping?)....sometimes he goes to the bottom but doesn't stay for long...and he swims funny...in very short strokes...he will swim very fast for a second and then stop and swim and then stop but in the same directions...

Feeder fish Goldfish Organism Tail Fish

Is something wrong with it? or am i over reacting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.