Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #1 
xxabc

My betta eats off the floor!

So normally bettas don't eat off the gravel, as it's too hard to find it, or for some other reasons. Well my red betta likes to hang out around the floor occasionally (not in a sickly manner, in an exploring manner), especially this one corner where the marbles collect. Well often when I feed, sometimes when I soak in too much garlic, the pellet sinks, and I'm stuck trying to pick it up... well, lately for the past 2 tries when pellets sank, I got fed up. I pointed my finger to the bottom corner ( i feed directly above it), where he followed, and to my surprise, he found the pellets! And ate them! So far, he's eaten 3 off the floor! Well, there's my cleanup crew for now. Haha, I just got excited. Of course, I won't force feed him to eat off the floor.

The other will only jump for his food...if I drop his pellet onto the water, he falls back, and leaps into the air like some kind of wanna-be Shamu, haha. So I hold it half an inch into the air and he'll leap for it. Very cute.

Do any of your bettas eat peculiarly?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #2 
DarthMaul
Banned

you trained your betta to jump out of the water and eat food from your hand? WOW that is impressive!! I have NEVER seen a single betta jump boooooo =[
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Mine constantly search for fallen food. Especially the ones in tanks with snails/shrimp because they know that there could be snail/shrimp food on the gravel.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #4 
xxabc

Maybe I can expect that when I get snails. This is an absolutely first for me, I was pretty impressed by his feat, haha.

Yup, Darthmaul. My other betta jumps for my finger daily (although he doesn't seem to jump on his own). My red betta can also jump, however he's terrible at aiming, and I either have to put it a centimeter up, or just let him eat it directly off my finger, ha.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #5 
DarthMaul
Banned

i must have mentally handicapped bettas. Mine do not do anything of the cool things ppl say their bettas do... booo =[ all mine do is eat, sleep and poop and HATE their new betta logs i bought em... what a WASTE of 20 bux haha all they do is nip at em and flare at em! so much for a "natural" betta floating log haha
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #6 
xxabc

Haha, well I've had them for quite a while, so definitely be patient. Definitely give it about a few months (yes months) or so before you get upset, haha.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #7 
DCbettagirl

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, but not to owning bettas :) My new little girl Cleo also ate from the ground. I discovered this right after getting her when she refused to eat anything for days. I bought just about every food on the market to tempt her to eat something--her preference? The Flakes! She would bite it, spit it out, watch it sink to the ground, and then eat it. Now I have her on a pellet diet and she likes to swim around with the pellet in her mouth before she eats it. and surprise--she HATES bloodworms! In fact, if I drop one in her tank she swims away and stares at it from a safe distance! Guess I'll have to find some other weekly treat for her :)
DCbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #8 
bloo97

Dragon eats, spits it out,eats,spits it out, eats, spits it out...He does this like 7x before he finally and truly eats it. Hehehehehehe.....
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #9 
FuulieQ

My betta refuses to eat off the floor of his tank, prefers to eat floating food. I have recently gotten him to hop a little for it, but he'll only do that for bloodworms. :P Picky fish.

Right now I'm trying to train him to eat off my finger, mostly in the hopes that he'll become less skittish as he gets used to me. It's gonna be a long road with that one. Whenever I move even slightly, he gets spooked and is gone in a flash. :<
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #10 
BerkB33

Treat mine with live black worms every 3rd day...couple of them "circle" the wiggling worm as it falls toward the bottom...seems as though they "bat" the worm around with their tail...just as the worm hits the gravel, BAM! Pretty violent head shaking...tear that worm up!!!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote