Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #11 
betta1485

Im going to check out walmart next week for the decorations and see if i can buy a submersible adjustable heater from the petstore.
betta1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #12 
xxabc

If you're going to buy plastic, be sure to test it by running over some panty-hose. If it snags, so will your bettas tail if they so happen to run up against it. Other people seem to fair better with plastic, but for me, all of my plastic plants ended up tearing up my betta's tails as they're much harder than silk plants. Bettas seem to love crowded tanks with lots of plants (not other fish, lol) and low current. Bettas can't stand strong current. I take it you bought the 5 gallon kit at Walmart? You can adjust the flow by pulling up the tube ... thing.

On the plants, buy as much as you can (I bought all of mine at Petco), and even if it's not a lot to start with, you can add one or two weekly, or every two weeks, instead of burning your money all at once. (And by crowding plants, I really do mean crowding plants). Don't worry if you think it's too much, if they're really silk plants, mine LOVE to brush up against them and pretend they're a mermaid or something, haha. The plants give a better sense of "this is MY territory", as they're quite territorial fish.

I'm not good with heater brands, sorry :) I used the Walmart Tetra (preset) brand. It does its job (but no more), keeps it at 77, but if I had the money I'd go get another.

To prevent constipation, pre-soak pellets and all freeze-dried foods in their tank water, with an unused medicine cup or anything similar, and soak for at least 1 minute. After that (as in longer than 1-2 min), they seem to start spitting it out because the pellet gets larger and they have trouble physically eating it after that. People normally advise to fast for one day to prevent constipation. You can do that, but I've never dealt with constipation and/or swim bladder disorder by pre-soaking all foods in garlic juice (it helps their immune systems and they love it) daily, 24/7, for all foods.

Good luck with him, and I love pictures :)

Last edited by xxabc; 04-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #13 
betta1485

I think I might downgrade to a 2 or 1.5 gallon. My betta enjoys the space (although he keeps attacking the side of the tank because he sees his own reflection) but I think its going to be hard for me to maintain. I am a college student that lives in a dorm with a very busy schedule. It was hard for me to set up the tank because I need to go back and forth to the bathroom to fill the tank with water. Because I did not cycle the tank, I have clean the tank, the gravel and ornaments every week. I can't see myself carrying the tank into the bathroom to scrub it down. Is there an easier way? Any college students with big tanks?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #14 
xxabc

If you want an easier maintenance, that's more if a reason not
to downgrade. Smaller tanks are more maintenance believe it
or not, as they're much more trouble to clean. It means
you have to do even more WCs

I would type a lot more, but I'm on an iTouch and its entirely troublesome. Hopefully someone will finish for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #15 
Kittles

Quote:
Hopefully someone will finish for me.
I think what he's getting at is that with a smaller tank your ammonia would reach dangerous levels pretty quickly, thus forcing you to make more frequent water changes. I'd tough it out with the 5 gallon. You could do without any substrate in your tank which would eliminate a large portion of the work right there. (Right? lol)

Speaking of which, you don't need to cycle it. You said something in a previous post about not having cycled it before putting your betta in, and that's perfectly fine as long as you maintain regular water changes. Also, seeing as your only alternative housing arrangement for your betta is the 10oz jar, you don't really have the time, or resources, to let your tank cycle.

As for the heater, how does it not fit in a 5 gallon? Most should, I'd imagine, and most can lay horizontally in the tank if it's vertical length is a problem. Other than the stores already mentioned, I'm not sure where you could buy one. Craigslist, maybe? Aquabid? I have no idea. Might be able to find some decor options there as well if department stores don't seem to cut it. That, or you could make your own with some around-the-house items and a hot glue gun. Or throw in a mug. Or a planting pot. Etc.

Lastly, about the behavior you mentioned after placing your fish in the 5 gallon: mine acted the same - Roy Cherry even began tail biting. I corrected this, however, by adding several live plants and an additional plastic structure. I believe he acted this way because the tank was too open, and / or because he had not adjusted to his new environment yet.

Hope yours calms down and you're able to get yourself and your fish situated.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-04-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #16 
betta1485

How exactly do I clean a 5 gallon tank? and how often (its just one fish)? Does it have to be 100% water change because I didn't cycle? Am I suppose to pour all the water out, rinse the tank, gravel and ornaments with hot water, put everything back, fill it with water and then add the water conditioner? Would buying a bucket make it easier? Sorry for all the questions.... I just don't feel like walking down the hallway with this huge fish tank in my hands.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #17 
betta1485

I guess I will stick out with the 5 gallon. Its makes no sense for me to buy an extra tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
As for the heater, how does it not fit in a 5 gallon? Most should, I'd imagine, and most can lay horizontally in the tank if it's vertical length is a problem.
Its one of those vertical heaters that you fasten on the rim of the tank and it has to reach the waterline or else will be a fire hazard.
Its too short for my tank because i get it to reach to waterline, the water would pass the filter and touch the light bulb. I ordered a new one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I also got these a few other things from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Damn I just realized i order the wrong thing. I hope it won't hurt my betta's fins. I wanted this:
http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Floral-C...xgy_misc_img_b

and I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Floral-C...xgy_misc_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I'm officially broke....

but I really want to buy these fake aqurium plants made out of silk/polyester on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...=aquarium+silk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
Lastly, about the behavior you mentioned after placing your fish in the 5 gallon: mine acted the same - Roy Cherry even began tail biting. I corrected this, however, by adding several live plants and an additional plastic structure. I believe he acted this way because the tank was too open, and / or because he had not adjusted to his new environment yet.

Hope yours calms down and you're able to get yourself and your fish situated.
I notice my fish likes to go under the filter and let the water push him down. I guess he's really bored.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #18 
soleilvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
If you want an easier maintenance, that's more if a reason not
to downgrade. Smaller tanks are more maintenance believe it
or not, as they're much more trouble to clean. It means
you have to do even more WCs
I think it may be easier to downgrade because with a smaller tank, there may not be a need to walk back and forth. They could just take the tank to the bathroom and empty/fill it right there. The amount of 100% water changes between a 2.5 gallon and uncycled 5 gallon would be about the same, right?

The two options I see that would be easiest: a smaller tank and doing water changes by taking the tank into the bathroom (instead of walking back and forth) OR a cycled 5 gallon with 25% water changes once a week.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #19 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleilvie View Post
IThe two options I see that would be easiest: a smaller tank and doing water changes by taking the tank into the bathroom (instead of walking back and forth) OR a cycled 5 gallon with 25% water changes once a week.
When you do a 25% water change, do you only pour out 25% of the water and fresh water without cleaning anything else? or do you pour out 25% of the water, put the rest in another container and then clean everything, including a tank?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #20 
Kittles

The decor looks fine and should occupy your tank nicely. Should the plants prove to be sharper than expected you could always cut them off though I don't see them being a problem.

And although I understand what it's like to be broke (as I've spent my fair share on my betta), I'm not in college and cannot empathize with your tank situation. I'm not sure how you'd manage, exactly, but I'd imagine you'll get some positive feedback in your other thread directed at the topic from those more experienced in that area. In my opinion, you could probably get away with one 100% water change a week, and possibly a 50% in between just to be on the safe side.

EDIT - An x% water change just means you suck out x amount of water to be replaced with fresh, conditioned water. So if it were a 25% or 50% water change you wouldn't have to do any cleaning - only if it's 100% would you need to remove and rinse everything.

Unless I'm wrong. Which I could be.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-04-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote