Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #31 
betta1485

Is it normal for a betta to stay in one spot and stare at you or look at something else for a long time? Mine just stays in the middle of the tank and looks at me when im on the computer.
betta1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #32 
xxabc

Well you haven't added any plants yet right? The completely bare tank is probably taking a toll on him in some sort of way. Let's wait until you add in / crowd his tank with more plants.

And that's not exactly "normal" betta behavior (whatever normal really is, however.) If it's temporary I think its fine.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #33 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Well you haven't added any plants yet right? The completely bare tank is probably taking a toll on him in some sort of way. Let's wait until you add in / crowd his tank with more plants.

And that's not exactly "normal" betta behavior (whatever normal really is, however.) If it's temporary I think its fine.
So I added a ornament/plant, a spongebob ornament, heater and a better thermometer than the one i had before to my tank today:

Name:  0409002305.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  91.8 KB

I also got a siphon which made cleaning the tank so easy

but I notice my betta has some white spots around its face and its gills are a little swollen...it looks like this black thing is coming out of its gills...he's been staying at the top corner of the tank for 10+ mins. and does not move (is he sleeping?)....sometimes he goes to the bottom but doesn't stay for long...and he swims funny...in very short strokes...he will swim very fast for a second and then stop and swim and then stop but in the same directions...

Name:  0409002306.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  89.5 KB

Is something wrong with it? or am i over reacting?

Last edited by betta1485; 04-09-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #34 
betta1485

Also, he still chases his reflection but i think he likes the new ornamant/plant that I just got him and his color looks really good....his fins don't look to good...he may have fin rot

Last edited by betta1485; 04-09-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #35 
Starbright

Definitely fill your tank with more plants or something! I just stocked my tank with plants and my once shy betta is currently swimming all over and looks super happy ^_^

Siphons are miracle cleaner devices! Haha. Getting a 2 gallon bucket REALLY helps too.

Did you dechlorinate the water? Your betta's probably swimming sporadically because he's uncomfortable maybe with all that open space. Not to mention he still has to get used to his place.

His fins look beautiful! The white is just a touch of natural coloring. (I'm almost 100% sure it is) and the black things coming out of his gills are well.. his gills. He flares them out so he looks like a mini lion fish if he sees his reflection. I think your betta is fine, but I can't really tell because the quality of your pictures are a bit fuzzy @.@"

I've been addicted to fish/bettas for only 1 year and I've already dropped hundreds of dollars ;_; and I'm only in high school. TT_TT (College next year tho ;D My fish is coming with me)
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #36 
betta1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
Definitely fill your tank with more plants or something! I just stocked my tank with plants and my once shy betta is currently swimming all over and looks super happy ^_^

Siphons are miracle cleaner devices! Haha. Getting a 2 gallon bucket REALLY helps too.

Did you dechlorinate the water? Your betta's probably swimming sporadically because he's uncomfortable maybe with all that open space. Not to mention he still has to get used to his place.
I did dechlorinate...i think a little too much.
Im broke so I can't afford anymore plants...well maybe one more...but I guess i need to fill the tank with more plants and things and then see how he behaves....

Quote:
His fins look beautiful! The white is just a touch of natural coloring. (I'm almost 100% sure it is) and the black things coming out of his gills are well.. his gills. He flares them out so he looks like a mini lion fish if he sees his reflection. I think your betta is fine, but I can't really tell because the quality of your pictures are a bit fuzzy @.@"
the camera on my phone sucks, i have to find my digital camera....

Quote:
I've been addicted to fish/bettas for only 1 year and I've already dropped hundreds of dollars ;_; and I'm only in high school. TT_TT (College next year tho ;D My fish is coming with me)
Its great having a fish in college...im really getting attached to my betta...and my tank makes my room look nice

i still don't have a name for it yet...what do you guys think of the name fiesty?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #37 
xxabc

Fiesty would be an adorable name

I also recommend putting in plants, just do it one by one, week by week if need be. It will help him slowly over time. I'm definitely going to take my bettas with me to college...definitely.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote