Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #1 
brancasterr

pretreating water?

I buy spring water from the super market to use in my bettas tank as the tap water here is pretty nasty, even for humans to drink. I was curious to see if anyone on here pretreated their water so they wouldn't have to worry about it when doing partial water changes and such. Would it be alright if I added water conditioner and a bit of aquarium salt to the gallon jugs as they wait to be used in the tank?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

The bottled water lacks in nutrients that the bettas need. I would bring a sample of your tap water to Petco or Petsmart and let them test it to see if it's safe. You wouldn't need water conditioner with bottled water I don't think, it's just if you're using tap water.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #3 
brancasterr

I have taken the water to be tested, it isn't suitable. Even the county says my area shouldn't drink the tap water until a new system in implemented. I use bottled spring water that comes in the jug, so it basically is county tap water thats safe for drinking.

Aside from that, even if I used tap water, could I pretreat it and store it? (You know, put in conditioner, salt, or what have you) and use it at a later date to expedite partial or full water changes?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Wow, that's horrible! I don't know if you should use the tap water even if you did pre-treat it if it's that bad. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #5 
brancasterr

My questions wasn't if I could use the tap water if I pretreated it. I was simply asking if I could pretreat my water (or any water for that matter) and use it at a later date without any adverse or unwanted side affects. Thanks for your help though. :)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh sorry.lol Yes you can do that. Some people leave the treated water over night before they put the fish in after each 100% water change. I wouldn't let it sit there for months though.lol But, if you do regular water changes it should be fine. :)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #7 
brancasterr

No no it's okay. :) Yeah thats all I was wondering. I doubt I would be letting it sit for months as I do go through a few gallons a week with his current set up. It would just be so much easier for me to put in the conditioner and maybe a little bit of salt(?) when I got the jugs of water and then just use the water when I needed to. That way it'll be completely treated rather than pouring it in, then treating it.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #8 
xxabc

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe set out 5-6 gallon jars and fill them up throughout the week. Just make sure nothing gets in them and/or no nasty chemicals. Treat with conditioner and aquarium salt and everything.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #9 
brancasterr

Yeah thats what I just did, I filled a 2 gallon and treated it with salt and conditioner. I'm hoping the nice water change after I get back from class at 3 will make him feel better. =/ I Just want to get him healthy again.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Good luck and I hope he gets better! :)