Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #11 
brancasterr

The only container I have to use as a QT container is the one I brought him home in. It's about 350-450 mL. I guess that will have to do. I'm going to go ahead and change his tank 100 percent with the water I already have premixed; has water conditioner plus about 1/2tsp of aquarium salt. Then tomorrow I'm going to move him to the smaller 350-450 mL container tomorrow. I'll have to go buy some garlic juice because all I have in my refrigerator is minced garlic for cooking.

Any suggestions for the high protein diet? He won't eat the food I already have for him. :(

I really hope he recovers.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Usually once you put fresh garlic juice on the food they will eat it better, I make my own fish food, but you can look on the fish food containers and see what it list for the protein, look for at least 43-50% or higher.

I use fresh garlic that I grow and I use a garlic press on it so it is nearly a paste already and lots of juice comes with it, the pre-chopped/crushed jarred garlic you buy for cooking can go bad if your not careful and sometimes will be oily.
You can buy the garlic booster for fish but I have never used it myself so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

It is important that you use the right dosage when using aquarium salt or any medications for that matter, otherwise, it may not be as effective and it can cause resistant pathogens/bacteria...etc......and you create super bugs so-to-speak........that is why I recommend that you pre-mix in 1gal jugs and do 100% water changes to insure correct dosage.

Sometimes frequent water changes are all that needs to be done when you catch issues early, I found over the years anytime my fish are acting "off" I will make a water change of at least 50% and that usually perks them up...even if I had just done a water change...
I can't stress enough the importance of water changes, this is their environment, just like us when we are in a polluted room with poor air quality...fresh air makes us feel better.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #13 
brancasterr

Sadly he died tonight. :( I started treating him with salt and soon after he died. I think it was coincidence because I didn't overdose him. I still can't figure out what was wrong. =/
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #14 
ecoprincess

:( sorry to hear that
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #15 
xxabc

I'm so sorry... RIP
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #16 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry. :(
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #17 
brancasterr

Thanks guys. =/ I feel a bit better because he was sick and I couldn't determine what happened. At least if he was suffering he isn't any longer.

I'm thinking about getting a new one soon. I need to make sure I clean out the tank properly though. How should I go about doing that?

Also, what kind of betta would you guys recommend?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #18 
xxabc

The most aggravating thing is not knowing how your betta died. Again, I'm sorry, and RIP.

Clean everything with super hot water, no soap. Might wanna take this info from someone else, though. I don't know much about super-cleaning a tank.

I'm in love with halfmoons. I love un-common colors, like purple and/or green. (Gosh, I saw a purple double-tail one, and I about just died because I couldn't get him)

If you're buying from Petco, their "halfmoons" aren't always halfmoons, but are still pretty nonetheless.

I would say ... go for uncommon colors. :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can use vinegar and hot water to clean out a tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #20 
truthequalslies

Last edited by truthequalslies; 04-03-2010 at 12:37 PM.
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote