Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #1 
Pendulum

Talking My Moment of Weakness

Name: Luna
Tail: Dumbo Delta
Color: Unsure.
Appearance: Currently white and gray/silver, possibly metallic as her body and fins shimmer in the light. If you look closely at her, you can see blue underneath and between her scales on her body. Colors might change since I just brought her home. Top half of her pectoral fins are white but the bottom half seems to be clear. The best part is when she's swimming since when you look at her from above, it looks like she's fluttering her wings like a butterfly.

Story:
I saw this lovely girl three days ago on Sunday at a not-so-local pet supplies store. I never really saw myself having a female betta despite my dreams of having a successful sorority. But the moment I saw her she had already won my heart. I couldn't stop thinking about her and finally decided to fork over 4 whole dollars and bring her home this morning. Initially I was going to split my boy's tank with a divider and keep just one tank since I really don't have room for another tank. But my boyfriend insisted I buy my new fish a separate tank with toys—which was surprising since he tried to convince me over the last three days to -not- buy her lol.

I was rather upset how the store employees insisted that bettas don't need large tanks and only small cups or bowls to live. I corrected them many times but they told me my information was wrong. How upsetting. It saddens me that these "information traps" mislead others to buy cups smaller than my coffee mug to keep their new bettas in. I was misled with Billy when I got him last month but within the same week of getting him (after a monstrous amount of research online) I upgraded his very tiny bowl to a 2.5g tank. "They really don't need all that space. They do just fine in the small bowls." I always correct them in a very nice way and let them know I know what I'm doing. Even though I'm fairly new to fish keeping, I will devote as many hours as I can to keep my fish happy.

Anyway apart from the venting, I'm eager to see if her colors will change like my little boy's did. My boy, Billy, is so very lazy—only moving if I greet him or engage activities with him. (Rest assured, he's very healthy and happy. He's just a lazy bum.) But my little Luna hasn't stopped exploring her tank. She's so itty bitty compared to Billy but she was actually the largest of the females in the store.

I'm no longer allowed to have any more fish as long as Billy and Luna are here with me lol. I couldn't fit another tank anyhow. As quoted on this website: "The betta often works out to be a 'gateway fish' because those who bring home small bowls discover the joy of fish keeping and find themselves with full scale fish tanks full of tropical fish before long." This website along with the friendly people here have truly opened my perspective on fish and have brought me the utmost joys in fish keeping. Thank you!

Please share with me your stories and joys of when you brought home a betta. A moment of weakness of bringing home one more betta even though you know you didn't have much room at home; or a moment of excitement of when you found your dream betta. I'd love to read all of your stories :).
Pendulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #2 
sweetie

Ok. Like you, I had a moment of weakness, but in my case, it was for someone else. I bought them a pair of bettas, one male and one female, but by the next day, it was apparent that the male needed more than one female or she would be worn out very quickly!! So we bought two more females. One was so pale, she looked pure white in the shop. She was so tiny and so sweet, I had to get her. Turned out not to be so sweet, and to cut a long story short, we ended up with just the male and the pale female. The other two females were casualties of sexual jealousy, I think.
Unfortunately, the person I bought the fish for lost interest in the female fairly quickly, so I inherited her. I had never really bonded with the male anyway. He was a sexual predator, who made any female housed with him so exhausted and terrified that I would have to rescue them - literally at death's door in the case of my little white one - after no more than 24 hours, so I guess even his exquisitely beautiful purple and claret fronds weren't enough to endear him to me.
My 'sweet' little girl, once I rescued her from where she was lying, exhausted and barely breathing on the plants at the surface of her tank after a single night with the male betta, has flourished. Her white body gradually turned pale blush pink, then her fins and tail turned pale blue, then she developed rows of symmetrical black spots all over her body, and finally her blue fins and tail became pearlescent - they now look like a mother-of-pearl shell. She is adorable. And so very beautiful.
Her name is Daphne.
Like you, I was told she could live in a tiny container, but it soon became clear that the one-litre wide-mouthed vase she was in was insufficient. She is now in a 15-litre cylindrical container, with a large water plant rooted in blue glass beads and providing lots of surface cover for her. She adores playing in her plant, squeezing herself between a stem and the glass for example, or doing figures-of-eight around sections of the plant. Sometimes she sleeps on her plant, at the surface, and when she's given a piece of bloodworm cube, she likes to attack it and drag it down into a frond an inch or two under the water, where she can guard her booty and nibble at her leisure.
I had no idea fish could be so inquisitive and active and responsive and just plain cute, until I met this betta. She has totally won my heart.

Last edited by sweetie; 05-29-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Addition of info
sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #3 
charliegill110

thats a beautiful betta!

neither of my betta were planned but i had wanted a betta my whole life. i used to beg my mom for one because i thought they were so beautiful. being a 3 year old i argued if they are sold in those little cups that MUST be what they live in but my mom would always tell me that cruel and we weren't going to have a fish tank (like 10/20/30 gallon) for just one fish so there for no betta. in 2012 my cousin, sister and i went out to eat in the neighboring city and there happened to be a pet store across the street (there are no pet stores or a chain of where we went to eat in my city so it really was a coincidence) all 3 of us have many pets so we were browsing for our usual but i saw they had bettas and for the umpteenth time i said how i had always wanted one and my cousin said "well get one" and i said "okay" and she showed me the kind of food they eat and the different stuff they need because shes had bettas (unfortunately she was just as misinformed as i was) but then they had pretty bettas but none of them "spoke" to me. so we went down the street to a different pet store. they had a much larger selection. we spent literally an hour comparing bettas and walking back and forth between the males and females, the females were on sale for 99 cents so i decided i would get a female because i only had a couple dollars on me since we weren't planning on going to a pet store. my cousin pitched in some money too. we got it down to 2 females, a red one and a blue one. the red one had flecks of purple and was beautiful, i knew that was the one. i got her, the food and a 0.5 gallon critter carrier and happily took her home. she was later upgraded to a 1 gallon and had rocks decorations and bamboo. i named her harlequin because i love h names, harry potter and frogs/toads and in hp nevilles toad was a harlequin toad. for the boy i have now, charlie gill (named after charlie weasley and gillyweed, the plant that allows harry to breathe underwater) i had been wanting another betta for a month or 2 and telling my mom i was going to get one. one day i needed to pick up a prescription in a different neighboring city that also happens to be next to a petstore. after i had my prescription which needs to be refrigerated my mom says "do you want to stop at the pet store for a betta?" "UM YES" my mom stayed in the car and i ran in. i only had change on me and they had a very small selection. i knew i wanted a boy and i didn't want a red one. there were only 2 veil tales (the cheapest) a red one and a blue one. the blue one was just laying there while the red one was happily swimming around and very active so i got the red one. he went in the 1 gallon for about 3 weeks and last night was upgraded to a 45 gallon. and he is loads happier.
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #4 
Pendulum

Thanks for sharing your stories!

Sweetie // She sounds like a beauty! My little girl has a much more active personality than my boy, but I found it gets frustrating when she pushes her mesh tube across the tank and trap herself or somehow she was able to push the (very heavy for any fish) rock holding down her terra cotta pot off and squeeze through the little hole. I couldn't figure out how lol.

Charliegill110 // Wow, 1 gallon to 45 gallons, your boy must of thought he won the lottery! I saw a few 99 cent females at our large chain local pet store and they were tempting but as you said, none ever caught my heart. And I too love Harry Potter, which is why I named my little girl Luna Lovegood! She obviously has some sort of magical powers as she's able to remove a rock off her pot and Disapparated to some unknown tank because it takes me forever to find her. She's very curious and doesn't seem to care for my boy, Billy (named after Bill Weasley of course!), who's tank sits next to hers. A fitting name, I think ;).
Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #5 
xShainax

I bought this little guy Tuesday in a moment of weakness. He flared at me so I had to buy him with no room for him right now.
Attached Images

xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #6 
charliegill110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
Thanks for sharing your stories!

Sweetie // She sounds like a beauty! My little girl has a much more active personality than my boy, but I found it gets frustrating when she pushes her mesh tube across the tank and trap herself or somehow she was able to push the (very heavy for any fish) rock holding down her terra cotta pot off and squeeze through the little hole. I couldn't figure out how lol.

Charliegill110 // Wow, 1 gallon to 45 gallons, your boy must of thought he won the lottery! I saw a few 99 cent females at our large chain local pet store and they were tempting but as you said, none ever caught my heart. And I too love Harry Potter, which is why I named my little girl Luna Lovegood! She obviously has some sort of magical powers as she's able to remove a rock off her pot and Disapparated to some unknown tank because it takes me forever to find her. She's very curious and doesn't seem to care for my boy, Billy (named after Bill Weasley of course!), who's tank sits next to hers. A fitting name, I think ;).
hes very very happy. but when i was floating him in the cup he was thrashing, i was afraid he was going to kill himself, he hates that cup. but after a couple minutes he calmed down. when i opened the cup and let him into the big tank for about 30 seconds he didn't move, i think he was in shock. but then he started exploring, he looked so happy. about 15 minutes in i think he had a small panic attack, realizing how large the tank is. that lasted one whole minute. he spent the next 6 hours swimming around SO happy. (and i know this because i laid on the floor infront of the tank watching for the whole 6 hours LOL) i've seriously never seen a fish so happy i actually felt really bad turning the lights off for bed time. but i woke up this morning to 2 bubblenests! i'm going to start a thread in the journal section later today talking about the whole thing in detail.

and omg i love the names you picked! if i had gotten the blue female i was going to name her luna lol! i like the name billy too, harry potter just has great names to pick from! and its such a large series theres plenty of names to pick from. charlie seems more curious than scared too. and quite nosey haha. he watches everything and if i'm doing something in the tank hes right next to my hand getting in the way trying to see what i'm doing.
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #7 
Pendulum

xShainax // Oh my, he's so gorgeous! I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice spot for him :) He'll surely show off those beautiful colors!

Charliegill110 // Indeed! Picking names from Harry Potter is always fun. I was torn between picking Luna or Crystal (name my boyfriend suggested) but picked Luna because like I posted earlier, you can see blue under her scales which represents the house Luna from Harry Potter is from and the white shimmery colors remind me of Luna's hair. I think it was meant to be :)!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #8 
fleetfish

I found a solid, bright red VT today. He was in really gross yellow water at the store and sadly some of the other bettas there were too far gone ... the store I went to is not the greatest pet store, but I had to check them out. He's in a quarantine cup right now. He's perked up very nicely and is unclamped, curious about the other bettas and myself, and is currently trying to eat the water droplets on the surface of his container. :)

Another surprise betta was Tenzin, my turquoise doubletail girl. You know how in pestmart they have those shelves where the cups just sit, right? Well I was just picking up random bettas and she suddenly popped out at me, stressed as ever. I gave a little squeal of delight - I mean, she's a DT! There are never any DTs at pestmart. Three weeks later, she is my favourite girl (shh!), a diva if there ever was one - she flares like mad whenever she sees another betta, and is very aggressive among her sorority sisters so I have to keep her solitary. I think she chose me well ^__^
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #9 
KFoster

I guess I technically had two moments of weakness.

First was after my first betta Ludwig passed away. I knew I would want another one, but wasn't planning on it being too soon. I went on aquabid to look at pretty fishies to make myself feel better.
Of course we know where that lead to.
Even though I knew it was going to cost me upwards of $70 CDN to have him after shipping etc.
But breaking all my rules I bought Winter, a handsome blue & white marble halfmoon. And he arrived in perfect health.

Second was after I had already purchased my aquabid beauty, and he wasn't even in the mail yet. I was in the local pet store and fell in love with a copper super delta. Days later I find myself purchasing a 4 gallon tank online and picking him up the next week after I begged the store to keep him on hold for me.

Two boys purchased within a week of each other.

I've posted so many of my boys pics as of late I don't want to annoy anyone that's seen them already with more, but they can be found on my albums under my profile if anyone is interested :)
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #10 
Pendulum

fleetfish // I saw a masked red VT next to my Luna at the store and was tempted to buy him... And next him were two impressive dragon bettas and one masked orange VT. They were all for $2-4 so it was incredibly tempting to buy them all. If only! I'm glad your lovely boy is beginning to relax and soon he'll get extra space to swim around :). I've seen many girls at Petsmart and Petco but I've never seen a double tail female. A few boys with DT but no girls so I'd say you were pretty lucky to find one! Sometimes I wish my Luna would flare for me but she's so curious about her surroundings that she just has no interest in anything "scary" or her neighbor, Billy. But I just got her two days ago so maybe one day!

KFoster // Aquabid... I can't tell you how many hours I spend on that website just looking at all the bettas I want but can't buy. Even if I had the money and space, I've never bought anything off Aquabid so it's rather intimidating to think about the process of buying fish online. I've read a few articles on how to buy fish online but I'm worried that I'll be even more worried every second until the fish arrived. I can only imagine how exciting it is to buy fish from Aquabid though! PS: Apollo is awesome! I'm rather jealous :). I have a very soft spot for marbles as my very first betta was a marbled boy and he was the most hardy fish I've ever had and was there for me during some very rough times. I miss him dearly. Of course, after I bought my latest boy last month, I drive to a different Petco and find a gorgeous blue and white halfmoon marble that I nearly cried about. I wanted it so bad but my boyfriend at the time said no to a second fish and I sadly had to pass him. But I still think about him! At the same time I'm very grateful and blessed to have my Billy and Luna with me.

Thank you for sharing your stories! I don't have any friends who are interested in fish (or see a point in having them) so I torture my boyfriend to listen to all my joys and rants with fish lol. It's a lot of fun to read everyone's stories.