Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #11 
fleetfish

It's funny about DTs - they're popping up everywhere around here. Sometimes you can go for months on end and not even find one, and suddenly I have three (Borg being the third - he's half blind). Yesterday I had to go to my local pet store. This store is excellent and they know my betta obsession, lol - anyway, there were at least twenty DTs there. Apparently it was a " shipping mistake"; pretty awesome mistake though! Soooo . . . I had to get one. He's a red/blue multi, very pretty boy. I would post pics of both the red VT and the DT but my camera isn't working :/

Girls are too adorable when they flare. Hope she gives you a good one soon!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #12 
KFoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
fleetfish // I saw a masked red VT next to my Luna at the store and was tempted to buy him... And next him were two impressive dragon bettas and one masked orange VT. They were all for $2-4 so it was incredibly tempting to buy them all. If only! I'm glad your lovely boy is beginning to relax and soon he'll get extra space to swim around :). I've seen many girls at Petsmart and Petco but I've never seen a double tail female. A few boys with DT but no girls so I'd say you were pretty lucky to find one! Sometimes I wish my Luna would flare for me but she's so curious about her surroundings that she just has no interest in anything "scary" or her neighbor, Billy. But I just got her two days ago so maybe one day!

KFoster // Aquabid... I can't tell you how many hours I spend on that website just looking at all the bettas I want but can't buy. Even if I had the money and space, I've never bought anything off Aquabid so it's rather intimidating to think about the process of buying fish online. I've read a few articles on how to buy fish online but I'm worried that I'll be even more worried every second until the fish arrived. I can only imagine how exciting it is to buy fish from Aquabid though! PS: Apollo is awesome! I'm rather jealous :). I have a very soft spot for marbles as my very first betta was a marbled boy and he was the most hardy fish I've ever had and was there for me during some very rough times. I miss him dearly. Of course, after I bought my latest boy last month, I drive to a different Petco and find a gorgeous blue and white halfmoon marble that I nearly cried about. I wanted it so bad but my boyfriend at the time said no to a second fish and I sadly had to pass him. But I still think about him! At the same time I'm very grateful and blessed to have my Billy and Luna with me.

Thank you for sharing your stories! I don't have any friends who are interested in fish (or see a point in having them) so I torture my boyfriend to listen to all my joys and rants with fish lol. It's a lot of fun to read everyone's stories.
Thanks Pendulum. I was quite taken by both of mine. Winter is a feisty little guy, you can tell he's only a few months old, and his fin is starting to turn red, so I can't wait to see what marble tricks he has up his sleeve.
I didn't even know I'd like copper's until I saw Apollo in person. He shines a brilliant purple on his scales and that orange tail is just so vibrant and flowy. He is a little more chill at home but he flares at his reflection when I show him the mirror. I need to get a pic of it as he has a perfect orange stripe in his beard which is just beautiful!

As for aquabid, I was a little nervous too, definitely. But I made sure the seller had excellent feedback, and I felt more at ease. I contacted her through the site before I placed the bid, and she was more than accommodating with answers to my questions and worries, and fast too. I think I found a really great seller on there, and they only post once and awhile. I wouldn't hesitate again as long as the seller's neutral/negative feedback was few to none!
Well actually I would hesitate because ground shipping in Canada is 2x the price it is in the states. But other than that, I was pleased with how smooth and easy it ended up being. And if my Winter lasts a long time, I would consider it again.
KFoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #13 
KFoster

Oh, and I too have few fish loving friends. So I too bug my husband with "omg you should have seen how Winter flared at my engagement ring today at work" and "Apollo jumped and grabbed food from my finger today"

I get a lot of uh-huh's and I-don't-care's

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I end up on this site for hours to share it with you guys instead. :)
KFoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #14 
ZZD

I just had a moment of weakness. I went to my LFS to get a few Red Crystal Shrimp since I had a little tank that recently became empty. I walked past the Bettas and nearly gasped. I have been looking all my life for a white betta. Usually the pale/white looking bettas at pet stores are just not well fed so I'm always wary of a white fish in a store, but this shop cares for them and all the bettas are at full colour. They had a pair of white Dragonscales with black dalmatian like spots and I just couldn't help myself. I bought one of them and named him Moo. I finally have my white betta! Now I just need a permanent tank for him and once he's settled I'll do a temperment test, because I feel bad leaving him alone when my other betta has such a good friendship with two panda garras and a vampire shrimp. The vampire shrimp was another spur of the moment purchase.

But here's Moo! Its kinda dark so the colours are off, but he is snow white.

ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #15 
aselvarial

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I bought this little guy Tuesday in a moment of weakness. He flared at me so I had to buy him with no room for him right now.
OMG! I have a fish nearly identical to that one! The blue in his fins and everything! it was our first betta and my 4 year old picked him out! I haven't seen another like him until now!
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #16 
charliegill110

Quote:
xShainax // Oh my, he's so gorgeous! I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice spot for him :) He'll surely show off those beautiful colors!

Charliegill110 // Indeed! Picking names from Harry Potter is always fun. I was torn between picking Luna or Crystal (name my boyfriend suggested) but picked Luna because like I posted earlier, you can see blue under her scales which represents the house Luna from Harry Potter is from and the white shimmery colors remind me of Luna's hair. I think it was meant to be :)!
honestly i just like naming things period haha. i went through a phase when i was in early middle school where i named all the outdoor critters that came by (squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, ducks, possums) my favorite was bob, he was the fatest squirrel i'd ever seen and he came to our house daily to eat for 2-3 years but one day my mom came home from work and said she saw a dead squirrel on the side of the road a few houses down and she thought it was bob and sadly i never saw bob again so it was him :( i didn't name squirrels anymore. but i currently have 3 stray outdoor cats, milk mustache, mr. tuxedo pants, and all black (all black is named that because we aren't sure of the gender and its all black and no other name ever stuck) but since i've got charlie i have been thinking a ghost shrimp would be cool and i want to name him jacques (mostly because of finding nemo, another movie i love) but i realized that didn't fit with my harry potter theme so i googled "harry potter jacques" and sure enough theres a chadian quidditch player named jacques. score! haha
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #17 
Pendulum

fleetfish // Even with males, I think I've only passed by 2 DTs at my local pet stores so they're not common here.... yet. But I always like to drag my boyfriend to pet stores just so I can pass by the bettas and see any new ones that popped up. Maybe one day I'll find a DT female ;). And then I'll have another moment of weakness haha.

KFoster // I've been wanting a purple and yellow betta just so I can name him Spyro, a childhood favorite game of mine haha. But perhaps when I get more room I can buy one off Aquabid. And I'm sure with the extra love and care you give to your bettas, they'll all live long and happy lives :)! At least your husband gives you some sort of response when you talk to him about fish. My boyfriend remains silent until I turn around and he's refraining his laughter from watching YouTube videos. And then I get, "Sorry, what?"

ZZD // I heavily contemplated buying a shrimp friend for my Billy but ended up passing on the idea until I gain more experience with fish keeping. So instead I got him a girlfriend lol. Your Moo is just so wonderful! I, too, dream of having one super white and one super black betta but I may have to buy those dreams off Aquabid lol. Moo is such a fitting name too! Congratualtions on finding your white betta :) He really is a beautiful betta! I've said to my boyfriend that if I find a white betta with black spots, I'll name him Pongo from 101 Dalmations, haha.

Aselvarial // I'm guessing your avatar picture is the one you're referring to! He does look very similar to xShainax's!

Charliegill110 // Aw, poor Bob :(. I love Finding Nemo! Before I bought my two bettas, I was actually on my way to buy a clown fish because of how much I love the movie. But I have zero experience with saltwater tanks so I ended up looking for something a little more on the beginner's level. Shrimps do seem to be a popular choice for betta buddies so perhaps you can get one :)!
Pendulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #18 
aselvarial

Pendulum, yes, my avatar pic. I totally forgot he was the fish on there.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #19 
sweetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmaugDragon View Post
Sweetie, bettas are not meant to be housed together in one tank. There is some great info about this under "housing" on the thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=232570
They come together for breeding but even then must be removed from each other as they will fight. Several females can be housed together in a sorority setting, but males/males males/females will fight, hurt, and often kill each other. Chances are he is not a sexual predator, but rather acting as he was bred to do. So glad you were able to save your female from this situation and give her a good home.
Yes, I rapidly discovered this. My mistake was in thinking that because the three girls had lived in the same tank at the petshop, they could do so at home when the second and third were added a day or two later. By then, they represented newcomers, and competed with the original female, by now I presume dominant. I didn't realise any of that. Sadly for one of the females. A second female died for reasons I am unsure of - she was on her own by then and had been for some time, but I still think she failed to recover from the stress. She had been the original female bought with the male.
One thing I have found, on this site and on the other site I visit regarding my axolotl, is that fish shop staff give the most appalling advice way too often. Virtually everyone who has bought an axolotl has been given instructions that would kill the creature (if they are told anything about its care at all). It is incredibly distressing to someone who loves all animals as much as I do to find I have been hurting something while honestly believing I'm doing the right thing. I have now learnt to believe nothing I am told in a fish shop (let alone a pet shop!!) and to research any prospective pet in detail BEFORE the purchase rather than after!
Thank you so much to everyone on this site, and the axie related one (caudata.org - great site) for all the patient advice - my axie and my bettas are very grateful too.
sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #20 
charliegill110

Quote:
fleetfish // Even with males, I think I've only passed by 2 DTs at my local pet stores so they're not common here.... yet. But I always like to drag my boyfriend to pet stores just so I can pass by the bettas and see any new ones that popped up. Maybe one day I'll find a DT female ;). And then I'll have another moment of weakness haha.

KFoster // I've been wanting a purple and yellow betta just so I can name him Spyro, a childhood favorite game of mine haha. But perhaps when I get more room I can buy one off Aquabid. And I'm sure with the extra love and care you give to your bettas, they'll all live long and happy lives :)! At least your husband gives you some sort of response when you talk to him about fish. My boyfriend remains silent until I turn around and he's refraining his laughter from watching YouTube videos. And then I get, "Sorry, what?"

ZZD // I heavily contemplated buying a shrimp friend for my Billy but ended up passing on the idea until I gain more experience with fish keeping. So instead I got him a girlfriend lol. Your Moo is just so wonderful! I, too, dream of having one super white and one super black betta but I may have to buy those dreams off Aquabid lol. Moo is such a fitting name too! Congratualtions on finding your white betta :) He really is a beautiful betta! I've said to my boyfriend that if I find a white betta with black spots, I'll name him Pongo from 101 Dalmations, haha.

Aselvarial // I'm guessing your avatar picture is the one you're referring to! He does look very similar to xShainax's!

Charliegill110 // Aw, poor Bob :(. I love Finding Nemo! Before I bought my two bettas, I was actually on my way to buy a clown fish because of how much I love the movie. But I have zero experience with saltwater tanks so I ended up looking for something a little more on the beginner's level. Shrimps do seem to be a popular choice for betta buddies so perhaps you can get one :)!
even before finding nemo i always wanted a saltwater fish tank, i used to beg and beg and beg my mom for one when i was little. not realizing exactly how much work goes into it. unfortunately i doubt i'll ever be able to have a saltwater tank. i'll never be able to afford all the things needed and buy salt or saltwater on a regular basis. before i was born my parents had a beautiful saltwater tank, i think it was over 100 gallons. sadly the house burned down (electrical) and they lost everything, including the fish. but they had a puffer which i've always wanted and my favorite has always been those yellow tang fish. and the saltwater angels are so pretty. and i love starfish and sea horses but idk if i would even be able to have all those different things in a tank.. after that idk what all i'd want in a saltwater tank. did you just want one clown fish, or?
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote