Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Question Bubbles

I just cleaned by betta's tank and the rocks have been giving off tiny bubbles...alot of them. Some have STUCK to my fish. I stirred up the rocks a bit to get rid of some of them. Are these bubbles attached to fish harmful?
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #2 
xxabc

It's because of the fresh new water. I have absolutely no way to describe it, though. It's ... fresh oxygen bubbles? Oxygen probably got trapped under the gravel and decoration, so when you moved it, it just flew up and happen to brush againstyour betta. As long as it gets off in time, it should be fine.

If anyone knows how to explain the bubbles that you get after a fresh water change (usually lining up against the tank) please do. lol.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Every time I do water changes I get the bubbles too. Don't worry, it won't hurt the fish. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #4 
xxabc

Just throwing this out there. May have to do with cohesion between the water molecules, and it's not sticking to the other material in the tank. However, I could be so incredibly wrong. Lol.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #5 
brancasterr

xxabc, you're first description was right. Although I don't know much about fish tanks(yet!) I do know a lot about chemistry. (Thanks college. -.- I'm not even studying chemistry) The bubbles in your tank are just air molecules rising up from under the gravel. It gets trapped there when you put more water in. My guess is that you poured the water directly into the gravel, trapping the oxygen under there. They (the bubbles) slowly work their way up and usually stick on things in your tank they come in contact with (ie. gravel, plants, decorations, your betta in this case.) until another force(water movement, etc. they're sticking on your betta more because his scales probably create a sticky surface preventing them from rising) pushes them along their path to the top where the oxygen is released back into the air.

BettaxFishxCrazy is right, they won't hurt your fish at all. They'll eventually pop or rise.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #6 
brancasterr

Also, xxabc, I didn't read your second post. That's exactly it. Cohesion. The particular molecules slipped past anything else in the tank and made contact with the betta first.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #7 
xxabc

I've been suspicious of these bubbles. When I had the tank set up for the VERY first time, there were bubbles all over the place. I didn't worry though..however, one of my boys was interested in this little collection in the corner... and he started playing with it. He was "eating" the bubbles! One day later, he gets SBD. I want to blame the bubbles, but not sure how that works, haha. I did stop feeding him, but it stayed for days (the group of bubbles were high up, so were still accessed when he had SBD). But meh, it was really cute anyways.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #8 
xxabc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
Also, xxabc, I didn't read your second post. That's exactly it. Cohesion. The particular molecules slipped past anything else in the tank and made contact with the betta first.
Oh SCORE. No wonder chemistry is my highest grade of all my other honors classes. :)
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Ugh science.lol I did love chemistry though. Physics..well that's a whole different thing.lol *rolls eyes*
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #10 
brancasterr

Prepare for college chemistry. It can and WILL take you by surprise. Also, I don't know if you can blame the bubbles for the SBD. :P It's just oxygen, so if he was eating them he would probably be just inhaling air.

Also, physics. Bleh. I'm currently taking that. It's one difficult subject that requires a TON of studying. But luckily the class is graded by t-score. So if you fail, you still pass. :P