Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #1 
punkchica321

Stuff I should always have on hand?

Hey, so I was just curious what are some things I should always have ready for whatever the case might be with owning a betta? Like medications and such? Thanks in advance!
punkchica321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #2 
Kittles

Aquarium Salt and Maracyn 1 and 2? That's all I can think of.

Most people usually treat fish problems with salt baths and more carefully monitored conditions. That seems to do the trick unless it's something more serious which is not the case more often than not. And I believe the Maracyn combo is pretty broad spectrum and should take care of most anything else.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-01-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #3 
reaperss06

also maybe some anti-parasite stuff for internal, cuz they can get some if you feed them the bloodworms and such. Test strips would be nice, if need be maybe water conditioner.

You probably asked for only sicknesses but these are all things I have on hand.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #4 
xxabc

Get the liquid test kits, strips prove themselves to be pretty misleading. Although a bit more expensive, liquid kits are really more accurate.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

We recommend the API freshwater master test kit. It's kind of expensive but worth it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Being a naturalist, my number one natural medication is "water" fresh and clean to help prevent problems, however, they do happen even with the best care so I will use..... aquarium salt, epsom salt, fresh garlic, Indian almond leaves, native oak leaves for treatments of many different things that ail my fish and a few other things I do as well that I don't share.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Being a naturalist, my number one natural medication is "water" fresh and clean to help prevent problems, however, they do happen even with the best care so I will use..... aquarium salt, epsom salt, fresh garlic, Indian almond leaves, native oak leaves for treatments of many different things that ail my fish and a few other things I do as well that I don't share.....

Not sharing? Where's the love??
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #8 
brancasterr

Oldfishlady, epsom salt? What does it treat? I might want to look into it. My betta has been acting a bit listless lately and I have some in my cabinet. A friend of mine had this stuff called Betta Revive and he let me have it. It supposedly helps prevent and treat many minor ailments, so I put a few drops of that in there and am waiting to see what it will do.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt 1tsp/gal I have found help with edema or swelling related to constipation and some injuries, it will help reduce the edema around the duct that often becomes clogged and infected when a fish becomes constipated or has a short/deformed swim bladder, it also works as a natural laxative and has properties for antibacterial/fungal issue as well, I never use it more than 10 days and I will use up to 3tsp/gal in some cases.

Aquarium salt or kosher salt 1tsp/gal up to 3 tsp/gal also has antibacterial/fungal as well as work for mold in the water, it also can be effective with some parasites as long as it is not over used or the parasite is not resistant from under dosage and long term use.

I do have some home treatment that I use that I do not share but only because they are not proven and I am still experimenting with them...once I establish their effectiveness I will share......I grow lots of different herbs and plants for human medications that I am experimenting with tropical fish to see what works etc......

I rarely if ever use the OTC medication because I have found natural treatments

Fresh garlic if fed 3 times per day for 6 week will rid a fish of internal parasites

Fresh clean water will prevent most problems in the first place with regular water changes
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #10 
soleilvie

Is there a highly recommended brand of aquarium salt?
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese