Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #11 
nacho

My winter breaks last about 2 weeks long, which I think is too long a stretch to leave him alone. Maybe a good alternative would be to keep a separate bowl for him at home and do more frequent water changes instead of keep him in the room over extended breaks?
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I left mine over christmas break with no food and they were fine. As long as you have a heated, cycled tank they will be fine for two weeks. When you get back just make sure to slowly feed them over a couple of days. I usually feed really good foods like live, frozen, or home made food for about a week after a long absence and it always works well for me.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #13 
kelly528

Also, there is a good chance that one of your college friends is not going home for winter break and could feed your fish maybe once in the middle of the two week stretch... when I went to uni last year a few of my friends from abroad just stayed over winter. Or yes, you could just as easily make accomodations for him as home... just take his heater and decorations (and the fish!) back with you and set them up in a rubbermaid bin... they should be fine.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #14 
nacho

I thought I would give you all an update on my "shopping" adventures up to now. Since I posted last, I have gotten numerous offers for free 10 gallon tanks on freecycle (such an awesome group by the way), and several e-mails between myself and a few craigslist people.

The thing I want most (cheaply) is the hood...fluorescent hood for live plants and such (they are so expensive!). So someone is offering a tank, gravel, filter, two heaters, 2 decorations, and a hood (she thinks it's fluorescent) for $30.

I hope that's a good deal! I would rather buy all that rather than inherit a free tank and have to purchase a hood separately.

*crosses fingers* Hope this deal works.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

Thats a good deal.. even if the light isn't fluorescent you can easily get a replacement bulb for pretty cheap.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #16 
nacho

Yay, you think? I am super excited. Planning on getting it tomorrow. Although, I may have to replace the gravel (or keep it funky purple with green and pink flecks). Whatevs, I'm glad I'm getting all that for $30 where I might have spent at least $60 on.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

Yeah its a good deal. You can't get a good 10 gallon kit (just hood and filter) for less than $35.. and you would still need decor, heaters, gravel, etc.

If you don't like the gravel its not that much to replace. You can save it for later in case you ever need it.