Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #1 
Narnian

Smile Soon to be new owner - a few questions

Hello!

I've never owned a betta before, but will soon be purchasing some supplies and planning to get a fish once the tank is all set up and ready. I have a few newbie questions.

1. Which heater do you recommend for a 2 gallon tank? I was looking at the Hydor mini, which sounded very safe and can be placed out of sight/under gravel? I've also heard people mention the submersible Tetra heater for tanks that are 2-10 gallons, but I'm concerned 50 watts is too much? PLEASE help me! I would like one that maintains a steady temp without worry of overheating. (thermostat) Also, the safest one too.

2. I've been recommended Nutra fin water conditioner for Bettas. It comes in a small bottle and is $3.99. What is the difference between the one that says "Bettas" and just the regular Nutra fin water conditioner for freshwater fish? It came in a bigger bottle for $5.99, so I was trying to figure out which is best.

3. What do you recommend for water changes for a 2 gallon? I'm going to attempt to cycle it, but not sure if it will work lol.

4. Does a stick on thermometer (on the outside glass) work just as well as the kind that go in the tank? Ideally, I'd like the ones that go in water for a true reading, but was trying to save as much space as possible. Which kind is your favorite?

5. I hear mention of putting aquarium salt in the tank for healing and such. What type would you recommend I get?

SO sorry for all the questions! Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited by Narnian; 04-04-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #2 
xxabc

1. Which heater do you recommend for a 2 gallon tank? I was looking at the Hydor mini, which sounded very safe and can be placed out of sight/under gravel? I've also heard people mention the submersible Tetra heater for tanks that are 2-10 gallons, but I'm concerned 50 watts is too much? PLEASE help me! I would like one that maintains a steady temp without worry of overheating. (thermostat) Also, the safest one too.

I think the Hydor (mini?) Heater goes well for that. And some people are having success using the Tetra Whisper(?) heater from Walmart as well. The hydor can be hidden, but not the tetra. I have no idea about wattage, though. All heaters run risk of overheating, its just one of those issues. However, I've never had any trouble with it, I think you're a little paranoid ;) But that's okay.

2. I've been recommended Nutra fin water conditioner for Bettas. It comes in a small bottle and is $3.99. What is the difference between the one that says "Bettas" and just the regular Nutra fin water conditioner for freshwater fish? It came in a bigger bottle for $5.99, so I was trying to figure out which is best.
Eh, not sure on the difference as well. I'm sure there is just SOMETHING there that makes it different, down to the smallest ingredient. I'd recommend Seachem Prime, but that's up to you. I would buy conditioner made just for bettas if there's the option. Prime isn't specifically for bettas, but it still does its job wonderfully.

3. What do you recommend for water changes for a 2 gallon? I'm going to attempt to cycle it, but not sure if it will work lol.

Sorry, but I haven't heard of a successfuly cycled 2 gallon before. Go ahead and try, but you'll still end up doing water changes. I THINK (someone correct me) you'll be doing two water changes a week. 50% and/or 100%. Again, someone correct me please !

4. Does a stick on thermometer (on the outside glass) work just as well as the kind that go in the tank? Ideally, I'd like the ones that go in water for a true reading, but was trying to save as much space as possible. Which kind is your favorite?

IMO It seems to run off about 1-2 degrees lower. I definitely prefer the in ones, but I have a 5 gallon and room is no issue. If you really want to save space go ahead and get the outer ones, but I've always been skeptical about those. Let's see what someone says about it that actually uses it.

5. I hear mention of putting aquarium salt in the tank for healing and such. What type would you recommend I get?

There is API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) Aquarium Salt that I have. There is also Epsom salt, but I've never used that before (or yet...). Very useful though, so definitely get it.

SO sorry for all the questions! Thanks for reading. :)

:)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have used the Tetra whisper heater with no problems. I second the Prime recommendation. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 
Narnian

Thanks very much both of you! I don't know why fish care is so confusing to me.

And yes, I am EXTREMELY paranoid about the heaters/water/electricity combination. lol. I have a gigantic fear of fire, not to mention the tank will be stored on the top shelf right about where my dog is gated to sleep. So yes, I MUST get something safe that is not a hazard in any way.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote