Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #1 
Bjwagner325

Sick Betta, please help.

I know my Betta is sick but I can't quite tell what he has. I believe he had/has a case of fin rot which I'm currently treating him for with Tetracycline, and I have a package of Maracyn-Two on the way for the general treatment, but I'd like a third opinion here. I'm worried he may have some type of fungal thing goin' on.

Here's a photo of Alpha when we first got em in May of 2009. I pulled off the way back of the shelf at a Petsmart.

My girlfriend had been taking care of him when he was still in a one gallon tank with no heat/filter, and the water would get pretty crummy from time to time, and now she's studying abroad until the end of June so I've had sole custody of our fish I've noticed lately that his color has become red/rusty around the start of his fins. I thought it might be velvet, but when I shined him with a flashlight I couldn't really see the "gold dust" flakes he'd supposedly be covered in.

Here's a current photo of him. Since I started treating him two days ago he looks a little better and since I've set him up in his new tank (specs below) he's been really happy and active. He's never lost his appetitie but he has lost some weight. The old, 1 gallon tank wasn't heated and I noticed he had been floating near the corners with clamped fins. I figured the water temp had dropped too far and slowed down his metabolism etc... and that he was getting sick so I bought all the new stuff and he's been very active. I'm hoping the new filtered tank will help remedy the situation.

Hopefully ya'll can help.

Tank set-up.

5 gallon Aqueon Minibow desktop kit with heater, temp. set to 80 deg. I use Aquasafe (yellow bottle) water treatment when I fist set up his new tank, and now it's being filtered. I was careful to introduce him into the new warmer water so not to shock him. I feed him Top Fin food pellets every day (which I know is too much), but I only give him 1-3 at a time and he's always hungry.

Any suggestions? He's the only fish I have in the tank and all the rocks/plants I bought with it I made sure to rinse in hot water (no soap) before introducing to the tank. Here's a picture of my tank too.

Thank you for ANY and all help. I don't want the little guy to kick the bucket, he's almost 2 now.

Brennan

Last edited by Bjwagner325; 04-04-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Bjwagner325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 
xxabc

Interesting color change. I think there's a term for that, but not sure what it is.

(IMO Feeding every day is not too much. I feed 4-5 daily).

Well if he acts fine, I think he's okay. My betta has pretty "rusty" coloring, but he's absolutely fine, unless I completely missed the point you were trying to make? Doesn't sound like he's sick if he's eating, swimming, and is active. His tails are not clamped, seems like he has fine temperature and great space as well. Again, unless I completely missed the point?

For fin rot, IMO you only need to do water changes (maybe daily if you want to) and aquarium salt. But that's your choice of how you want to take it :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 
Bjwagner325

Yeah you got my point, I'm worried about his color. He used to look super cool with all his blue but I'm wondering how he's now seemingly turned green/reddish? I figured maybe he contracted something. He definitely had a little fin rot going on but I think I caught it early enough.

His maiden voyage in the new tank was awesome to watch.. he absolutely loved it and his fins flared right away so I'm thinking the water temperature had a huge part of it. Maybe some other people will know about his color change? Could he just be getting old? Lord only knows how long he had been on that shelf before I saved him.

He just became a little "mini" investment the past couple days. The entire tank setup, heater, rock, plants, gravel & medication cost me around $150 so the last thing I want is for him to kick it now. He does "seem" healthy, but I want to make sure.

Thank you so much for the input,
Brennan
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #4 
xxabc

Hopefully someone will come and tell about the color. I just know there's something about it, but it's completely out of my mind right now, haha. Really, I think he's fine. Compared to two of my bettas, their fins look like they're made of completely different material.

Really glad you bought the whole setup for him :) You won't regret it, I promise.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #5 
Bjwagner325

Thanks for the help, I'd still like to know more if anyone has additional input as to the color change?

Tomorrow will be the third day of his tetracycline treatment. I just checked on him now and the green color seems to be going away. It looks like he has some new fin growth and they're becoming less transparent too.

The red splotches have died down and his blue color is starting to come back. Hopefully by day 4 he'll be all good. My pack of Maracyn-Two gets here tomorrow so I might do one treatment of that just to be sure everything is ok with the little fella, or I'll the water cycle through and wait a little bit.

I'll repost some photos in a few days.

I'm glad I got the 5 gallon set up too. For the price it was great, and the place that makes the tank is just near my current house so it shipped to me in two days, with everything else I had ordered too.

He's happy, so let's hope it stays that way now.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #6 
bloo97

Hope he gets MUCH better!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

He may have a marble gene. We need a picture of him without flash.. thats why he looks so green in the second picture. The first pic is without flash and the second picture is. Many fish look completely different with flash.

Going from an unheated to a heated tank can cause a fish to change color. When fish are cold their true colors are often subdued.

I wouldn't continue medicating him if he seems fine don't medicate him "just in case". Medication is very tricky to work with and its very easy to kill fish with it. If you feel he needs further treatment wait a week or two to see if he even needs treatment then try salting the tank with aquarium salt for 5-10 days, doing daily small water changes, and raising the temp to 80-82*... that should set him up fine and is much safer than the medication.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It may just be the change in environment and like 1fish2fish said, going from an unheated to a heated tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #9 
Bjwagner325

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to get a picture of him without flash.

I'm going to finish up the medication treatment because I only have one more day of it now, and then all I have to do is a 25% water change and put the filter back in.

He looks so much better today.. all his fins are now 100% open, and are finally beginning to return to the natural blue color in the picture. He must of had some type of bacteria infection or fin rot. The tetracycline has seemed to help a lot.

Right now the tank temp. is set to 80 deg so I think I'm ok in that department. I will hold off on giving him the Maracyn-Two though for now because he seems to have made dramatic improvements.

Thanks for all the help everyone!