Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #1 
Kittles

Shrimp!

So, I found this incredible little aquatic store in Eugene, OR the other day during one of my trips down, and on top of the store having the most vast selection of anything you'd ever need for any sort of fish set up ever, they had the most incredible selection of shrimp! Every other pet store I'd been in before this one (I forget the name) had only carried ghost shrimp which I think are gross. So I went in looking for cherry shrimp - the only other type of shrimp I've become familiar with via the internet - and was amazed when I came across tanks of:

blueberry shrimp
cherry shrimp
vampire shrimp
pinokio shrimp
bumblebee shrimp
etc.

My mind was blown. I'd found the holy grail of shrimp. Sadly, I wasn't able to buy any for what I thought was the amazing price of 2 of any kind for 10 dollars. I'd have had to take them on a 6 hour car ride back to Everett and I didn't want to risk killing them all before arriving. I haven't given up on my quest for shrimp, however. I will just have to find something similar, but more local. Seattle must have something, right, because seriously, now that I've discovered them, I must own them. Especially the blueberry. Must own the blueberry.

Regardless, my fascination has grown and I'm curious to know what types of shrimp, if any, you all are familiar with, which you prefer, and what kinds you may have in your tanks. And lastly, where have you been able to find them?

Last edited by Kittles; 04-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #2 
bloo97

Wow! You could start a seafood resteraunt with that many! J/K!! XD
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Haahaa! That's funny.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #4 
karjean

If they are package properly, they should make the trip.
karjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #5 
2brown347

What was the place? I'm moving to Eugene next year and would like to know?

Next time you're in Oregon I'd go to Wetspot, they have a amazing freshwater selection of fish and a lot of shrimp aswell. You can find them on aquabid (they sell a few wild type betta's on there and other fish). Also if online is cool with you there's a member on aquariacentral named MsJinked (I think?) who sells inverts and micro fish at a really good price. I planned on ordering some from her eventually
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #6 
Kittles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brown347 View Post
What was the place? I'm moving to Eugene next year and would like to know?

Next time you're in Oregon I'd go to Wetspot, they have a amazing freshwater selection of fish and a lot of shrimp aswell. You can find them on aquabid (they sell a few wild type betta's on there and other fish). Also if online is cool with you there's a member on aquariacentral named MsJinked (I think?) who sells inverts and micro fish at a really good price. I planned on ordering some from her eventually
I don't remember the name, but I'll ask my friends who live there and find out. If I can't find any shrimp elsewhere (and closer) I will have to purchase them there on my next trip to Eugene. It's just such a far trip from Everett, WA :< I'll also have to look into the aquabid member.

The place was pretty neat. Right in front of the entrance was a huge koi pond with the largest koi fish I've ever seen. They were nearly a foot and a half long. And the live plant selection was gorgeous. They had 3 tanks full of underwater plants separated by light per gallon requirements. The only thing I was a little bummed to see was their storage of bettas - but I guess that's pretty typical, am I right? Maybe a step up from the cups at a tradition pet store, they were placed in crowded drum vases; some too crowded of moss and grass to allow swimming / access to the surface. I took a picture: http://i40.tinypic.com/29bytd0.jpg

Overall, though, the store was amazing. It was maybe the size of a smaller petsmart, but dedicated entirely to aquatic needs. And the shrimp! Can't forget the incredible amount and variety of the shrimp! Blueberry :<
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #7 
2brown347

As far as the portland area goes (which is still a bit of a drive for you) Wetspot is the place. http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/

The website doesn't do much justice but it may be a easier trip than all the way from Eugene.

This is the aquariacental member I was talking about http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...play.php?f=142 idk what her shipping is but she gets some pretty cool stuff.
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #8 
Mecal

Isn't it great finding that stuff?

There's an aquarium place only a few miles from my house that sells:
Amano, red cherry, blackberry, and crystal red.

Occasionally they switch out the blackberry and crystal red for others, but always have Amano and Red Cherry :D

And what color are the Blueberry ones? I ask because at this store, as I just said there were "blackberry" lol. Which were more of a deep purple'y color - and I know the names are interchangeable. So I was wondering if they were the color I described, or a lighter blue?

Anyhow, as mentioned, yes, they should live if bagged properly.
I've driven mine for 2-3 hours and they were fine.
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #9 
Kittles

Mm, they were kind of a periwinkle color. Just a translucent "blueberry", really, so the name seems to be pretty accurate - not sure how it applies to blackberry shrimp, or if they're the same.

And yes, it is great to find these things. I was in awe. Now only if I could find something similar in a reasonably close area. I did ask if I would be able to bring the shrimp with me on the car ride, and even though they said "probably," I didn't think I'd be able to manage the task of opening the bag every hour to allow fresh air to enter while cruising 80 through traffic alone.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #10 
AlexXx

I have cherry shrimp now, hopefully they start breeding soon. Im going to try Crystal Red Shrimp next. Just make sure you have proper water PH and KH if you start doing shrimp. They need pretty low PH, my tap is very hard so i have to use a PUR Water filter. Lemme know if u get any! sounds cool! I wish i had a store like that!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote