Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #11 
Mecal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
Mm, they were kind of a periwinkle color. Just a translucent "blueberry", really, so the name seems to be pretty accurate - not sure how it applies to blackberry shrimp, or if they're the same.

And yes, it is great to find these things. I was in awe. Now only if I could find something similar in a reasonably close area. I did ask if I would be able to bring the shrimp with me on the car ride, and even though they said "probably," I didn't think I'd be able to manage the task of opening the bag every hour to allow fresh air to enter while cruising 80 through traffic alone.

hmm, interesting. It's probably the same shrimp, with a slightly different coloration?

Anyway, you won't have to constantly open the bag.
The store is near my house, but 2 hours from the university. I drove a bit more than 2 hours (including stops and such) with an amano shrimp and cherry shrimp, and they did fine without me opening the bag.

And one time, I bought some ghost shrimp at 11am. I changed the bag to something more suitable at 12noon.
I then left for the university at about 4:30 or so, and didn't get there until 7pm - and they were all alive :)

but then again, ghost shrimp cost 33c here, as opposed to 6$ for the cherry.

So it may be a good idea to not be as haphazard as I was, haha.
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #12 
FuulieQ

So, CAN you put in shrimp with a betta? :o
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #13 
Kittles

Quote:
So, CAN you put in shrimp with a betta? :o
Technically, yes, but whether he eats them or not is a different story...
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #14 
FuulieQ

Ah.

Well, a shrimp probably wouldn't like Freedy's tank anyway. As hard as I try to keep it clean, he poops a lot. :I And there's no substrate so that it's easier for me to get all that doo out.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #15 
Mecal

I have 1 betta and multiple shrimp in the tank right now.

He doesn't bother the ghost shrimp, but he does seem attracted to the cherry shrimp (probably because he can see them, lol).

he doesn't attack though, just gets in close for a look, then the shrimp jet off, and he follows to see.
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #16 
caleb

Red face

I had one Amano shrimp I thought Admiral Ackbar would leave him alone cuz in the small 1/2 gallon the shrimp lasted a few days then I moved them both to a 5 gallon and then 2 days later my shrimp molted and Ackbar bit his head off.
First I found the shell floating around then I saw what was left of ol' shrimpy.
Ackbar is smart he waited till the shrimp molted then attacked he can sense weakness muhahahaha. But I'm going try again and see if he will get used to the shrimp.
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #17 
burn84

Hi guys,

I bought 2(one small one big) crystal shrimps and added to my 2.8Gal Betta Tank.

The moment I put them in, he ate the smaller of the two.

He is chasing around the big one but the big one seems to be able to escape and hide beneath some nook lol

I am thinking of getting maybe 2 more big sized crystal shrimp, let them band together and fend off the evil Betta LOL. Good or bad idea?
burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #18 
Kittles

Lol, that could work. Or, you could more densely plant your tank or provide some decorative shelter that the betta isn't able to enter. There's a chance your betta will adjust to their presence, but the feuding may never stop.

Some bettas just prefer to be alone.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #19 
Hadouken441

IMO I think an only shrimp tank is the best way to go. Good shrimp get really expensive. Crystal reds that are grade 'A' are 20 dollars each. I would never risk putting them in with a betta.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #20 
burn84

hey guys,

oooh i just found out that the shrimps i put in my Betta's tank werent crystal shrimp, they were smaller about 70cents each.

My betta ate the other shrimp too......sigh.....maybe i need a ghost shrimp then....

I know they like living alone in a tank but....there's something about shrimps that I like lolz
burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote