Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #31 
Welsh

Rub salt in the wound why dont you, im from the UK and fish are still equally expensive lmao

Im a newbie on this forum so I cant properly answer your question, im not sure if there is a way to tell when they are shedding what I do know is that they arent shedding their shell their shedding their skeleton hense why its called an ecoskeleton but if you leave this in the tank the shrimp will eat it for a source of calcium which is good. When they do shed their ecoskeleton they will hide until their shells harden.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #32 
s3kshun62

You should be able to transport them safely. I made a move from central Ohio to south Texas in a moving truck which took about 28hours. I was able to keep all 5 of my dwarf puffers, 2 cory cats, and 3 otto's alive the whole trip. I just had them all in little tupperware containers with air holes. I stacked those inside a styrofoam cooler with some of those hot hands personal heating pads and thermometer. Just keep track of the temp, and you should be fine.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #33 
javi

Hey I live in South Texas also. Hi neighbor.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #34 
Kittles

Neighbs.

Also, that's a pretty intense trip, s3kshun62. 28 hours is ridiculous, but you seemed pretty well prepared. Well done.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #35 
burn84

On second thoughts,

My ghost shrimps have become huge, larger than the betta and they are starting to fight. The shrimp nipped one of the Tail Lobes, so I took the monster ghost shrimp out n put him in a spare 5gallon tank that I have.

The shrimps have to be a right size huh? cos I bought a small ghost shrimp and my betta murdered it and tried to eat it. The betta had half of the ghost shrimp in his mouth and i managed to take the dead shrimp out before my betta could "FINISH HIM".
burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #36 
McAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn84 View Post
Hi ,

I am not in America :p I am in Malacca, Malaysia.

Really awesome looking Bettas here cost abt STG1 only hehe really cheap. In Malacca itself there are over 30+ pet stores and most carry Bettas.
Asia is awesome for fish! I went to Hong Kong over the holidays and was amazed at the level of fish stores. Beautiful planted aquariums are the norm there, was very impressed!

On shrimp, do you find it's easier to introduce the shrimps BEFORE the fish? I've had a few in my other tank and they were left alone till I went on vacation and they ran out of food for 2 days. The fish ate every single shrimp and realized how tasty they were so any other ones I'd buy would get eaten too.
I'm thinking of putting some cherries or crystal reds in my 5Gal before I put in the betta.

Oh, Burn84, for the 24 hours period you were asking about, it kind of depends on your water. If there's enough minerals in the water, it'll harden faster. Same for snails. Soft water isn't as good as hard water basically.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-17-2010 at 09:51 PM.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #37 
bloo97

Wow! All the way from Asia! How Cool!!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #38 
burn84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Wow! All the way from Asia! How Cool!!

Hahah more salt rubbing:

Yeah, and fish here are so darn cheap :p If you have a good eye, you can get a nice veil tail betta for only .......RM1.50 = USD$0.50.

I found some other shrimps around my area that have no pincers: Banana Shrimp, they look reallly really cool and appears harmless. Might buy one and stick it with my Betta and seee how it goes.
burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #39 
McAttack

I'm trying cherry red shrimps now, thank god they have lots of plants to hide in! He's chasing them all over in the tightest of spots.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #40 
McAttack

Alright, so the cherry shrimp experiment isn't going so well. I found a dead shrimp two days ago, thought it was the heat wave. So I took it out, counted the shrimps and could only find about 3-4 (originally had 8-9) but there's lots of hiding places. This morning, i find another shrimp, with his back ripped off in the middle of the tank. Ah great. Well i'll jump in the shower, then clean that up and feed the fish before I head to work. Get out of the shower, and the shrimp is gone. He's been attacking the shrimps at night when they're most active. And, there are very small ones, which I thought wouldn't survive, but he's gone after the large ones.

When they're gone i'll look for another friend. Maybe an octo. A large snail worries me cause of all the plants I have in there.