Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #1 
Mirepoix

help! Bloated Stomache? Can't get rid of...

Hey :) so i got back from California about a week ago. I had left my bettas in the charge of my mother, who fed them for me, but isn't much of a fish person.

I have a 5 gallon tank with a good filter set up for one of my bettas which i have had for about a year. The only thing i have ever had a problem with him was when i got him i had to treat him for fin rot, but since then never had a problem.

When i got back he has had this HUGE stomache, which i looked up and thought it was just constipation. I didn't feed him for a few days (which seemed to make it barely better) and fed him a bit of a peeled pea day before yesterday. Yesterday it looks like he is SO much worse and is having a bit of a hard time swimming, but isn't floating on one side...

Should i do a salt bath? how would i do that? how much salt do i use? (i have a 1 gallon QT tank) anyother ideas? im really scared that he might not make it and then i would feel SO bad having killed a fish :( help... please? oh, and his scales are NOT sticking out like dropsy (Sp?) just a big belly and very lethargic.(tank temp is about 70)
Mirepoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would start by raising his temp up to 78-80F and start making 50% daily water changes for a few days, hold all food for now,
If he is not better in 3 days of the daily water changes and fast, place him in the QT and add 1tsp/gal of Epsom salt and make 100% daily water changes for 3-4 days, if he is having trouble swimming lower the water level, turn off the filter. offer the pea piece on day 3 of the Epsom salt bath, if you have live foods like mosquito larva or daphnia feed them once a day in small amounts
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote