Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #11 
TealHoundogg

Good point.

I'd be the same way. Just the other day I put one person in her place, she was one of those types that lumped in good breeders with puppy mills, substandard kennels and whatnot.

I'm the sort of person who reads the owner's manuel and does research.

There are some mixed breeds who are healthy but still they can inherit problems common in their purebred parents.

But you have a point some purebreds in shelters or pounds aren't always the greatest. Read about one lady who had adopted an Akita, five months later he had a seizure and passed away. This was after she paid for him to have a surgery to correct a spinal issue. It was really sad. After that she got a puppy from a breeder, no problems.
TealHoundogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Yes, it is horribly sad when you end up on the losing side of the genetic lottery. We got one of our dogs years ago from a family that bred their two 'purebred' German Shepherds. She was the ugliest Shepherd I've ever seen, but she had a lovely temperament. However, she was also one of the most long-lived out of her entire litter as the majority of them seemed to die very early on from various issues.

I think that really opened my mum's eyes to the importance of doing her research first. I find with most domesticated animals, there are breeders, and then there are breeders.

Unfortunately, many people can't distinguish between the two. I see so many people advertising themselves as 'registered' breeders, and the only thing they are registered with is the local council. Ask them for a breeders prefix or anything like that and you get a mouthful of abuse and told to go away.

It sounds like the breeder the man in New York had to track down may have been either a BYB or a puppy farm in disguise. Some of them have very slick looking websites that are designed to give buyers warm fuzzy feelings. You can put lipstick on a pig, but that isn't going to disguise the fact that it is still a pig. I see websites all the time that are just listings for puppy mill puppies, but because they have cute pictures of the puppies, prospective buyers don't realise what is going on.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm not anti-breeder or anti-pure bred. My issue is with the recreational breeder, and of course the mills.

We have bought pure breds from breeders, mutts from pet stores, stolen neglected dogs out of yards, and rescued dogs from shelters. No matter where they come from, dogs enrich your life. No one should feel bad about the origins of their dog.

Last edited by jaysee; 06-02-2014 at 07:21 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #14 
xShainax

Hybrid vigor is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. We have a chow/akita mix and he has bad teeth, severe flea allergies, and is hard of hearing. We had a husky who my parents bought at a petstore who lived to be 17 and her only health problem was congestive heart failure which we didn't know until she had a massive heart attack in which we put her down because there was nothing the vets could do
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

Just because one duck is blue doesn't mean all ducks are blue. Sure there are unhealthy cross breeds - nothing is 100% guarantee but death and taxes.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #16 
Agent13
Reference Team

What does that have to do with anything?

So dogs from breeders is out of fashion now ? Yeah I don't really care what's the popular trend to feel good about yourself . Having kids now I honestly feel better buying dogs from caring breeders where I see the site the puppies were cared for before I got them... I meet the parents and get an afternoon to see their temperaments . Get to see all the puppies personalities then choose a match . Rescuing a dog is super fantastic ... But it's not for everyone ..
And the same for adopting children .

I bought my first dog as an adult from a fantastic akc registered breeder of Rottweilers . Was the prettiest sweetest pet rottie anyone ever met and gave me 13 loyal years before she died of cancer. She was so loved that even my 97yr old grandmother talks about how she misses her . Mourns her passing . My current dog is a 10yr old pitbull . She's pure bred from a pretty irresponsible breeder who was ok with dogs going into dog fighting .. You could view her and her siblings I bought as rescues but I don't because I bought them all and the mom. Kept my puppy and she's been the best friend my kids could ever have asked for. The one thing that was most important both times was meeting the puppies and their parents .i don't feel bad about any decision I've made... I'm pretty proud of them in fact

Sent from Petguide.com App

Last edited by Agent13; 06-02-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #17 
TealHoundogg

That's great Agent. Sorry about your Rottweiler. They're nice dogs.

Shania, 17 is certainly a ripe old age for a husky. So sorry about what happened to her. My beagle came from a pet store but that was only because I couldn't find a local breeder and when I looked on Petfinder, some of the dogs I liked either were spoken for or... couldn't live with other dogs, had to be on certain medication because of a health issue... that sort of thing.

With her registration I did track down several dogs in her family. Traced one all the way back to a few hounds imported from the UK. The breeder she came from seems to have gone out business. I'm assuming he might've known my dog's Dad was probably valuable because of his lineage and probably got him based on that alone. I did find out my dog had been tested for genetic defects when she was 3 weeks old. Vet didn't find any unsual. Her heart, joints, hips and such were fine. She grew up with a pug who didn't' come from the best breeder either...had an older brother who was a top AKC show pug in 2005. My guess she would try to get a hold of dogs that came from good lines but didn't not for the show ring or anything else.

Despite that, I love my dogs.

I remember seeing an episode where Oprah went to a breeder and one of the golden retrievers she chose had underbite and the breeder tried to talk her out of buying the dog and Oprah's reply was "What, just because she has an underbite she's going to be discriminated?" Another one she got was a runt and the third was considered larger than the kennel club standard.

You have a point, Jaysee. A friend of mine bred her german shepherds once and found homes for the pups. A few dogs she's taken in recent years were either strays or someone left them at her door.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #18 
xShainax

All our recent furbabies are rescues and one of them we took off the streets
Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #19 
TealHoundogg

Aw. There used to be a Chow/Shepherd mix in my old neighborhood, everyone took care of her after her owners moved. Last time I went by there the people who owned her brother had left, I didn't see her anymore so I'm assuming they took her with them. She was a nice dog.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #20 
xShainax

We adopted this pretty girl from the street almost 2 years ago. Here are before and after pics of her
Attached Images