Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #1 
DarthMaul
Banned

Question Betta Picture taking strategy?

A lot of the betta pictures on here are PHENOMENAL!! What camera are you using and how do you guys get such awesome pictures?? Do you know what gets your kids to do certain things to take some awesome pictures and also how long do you spend in front of the tank to get these great shots??
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #2 
rquinn86

I have spent a lot of time in front of my tank to get a good picture. For the amount of pictures I have taken only a few have come out good and clear. I don't have the best camera but It's good enough for me. I get good ones when i just stop trying, and start hitting the button repeatedly. It's not always easy. Good Luck. and keep trying.
rquinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

well my digi cam is no better than my iphone, if not worse haha soo i guess no cool pix for me until i get a nice cam haha
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #4 
vaygirl

If you don't use a flash, you need a lot of outside or tank light. Rquinn is right though. I fire off probably 30-50 pictures with my digital to get one halfway decent pic. I have a Nikon Coolpix L20. Just take many, many, many pics and if you have a digital camera try every setting and flash setting and mess around with exposure compensation too. That's the only way I learned what worked.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 
DarthMaul
Banned

i need a better one lol trust me i know my camera and know how it works, its like a 8 yr old kodak easy share haha it served it's purpose haha
Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #6 
BerkB33

I'm a sports photographer by trade and taking photos of fish/aquariums is very much like taking action sports shots....for every 25 to 35 frames spent you'll get 1 "sellable" photo! Pros suffer from the same problems your having. I use a Nikon D5000 digital SLR camera...use to be the most expensive digital camera on the market...still use the "garbage can" button more than any other on the camera!!!!! Now, I can set exposures and appatures fairly well, due to nothing but experience, but as far as "capturing" the great shots....get lucky, baby!!!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #7 
DarthMaul
Banned

well they dont have to be pro perfect lol just better quality haha
Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #8 
splyce

Actually the picture I posted on here of my betta I took with my new Nintendo DSi (don't laugh). It did a FAR better job than my old cheapo digital camera, much better with lighting and focus and clarity.

As far as how to get those pictures, its just a matter of patience. LOTS of patience. One thing I don't do is tap on the fishbowl hoping my betta will swim to a better photo spot, I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it (hehe). Just wait until he swims close to the front of the bowl/tank. Also I put the bowl on the kitchen table which is right in front of a window so the lighting was pretty good.

Good luck, hope you can get some good snaps!
splyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

I take 4 or 5 photo's of each my betta's everytime I go out, to get them used to the camera, but for serious photo shoots I spend a lot of time in front of my tank's to get a good picture. It's not always easy.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote