Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #11 
lastbook87

So, I ended up going to Wal-Mart today and snagging one of those ten-gallon tanks, along with the truly basic additions (gravel, and um... yeah). My mother owns a feed store and doesn't normally carry fish stuff, but has promised to order me a heater and a filter next for next week and then ship them to me. In addition, the Wal-mart only had plastic plants, and I couldn't see buying them and then having to replace them with silk ones later, so I'm just going to hold off until I have time to go to Petsmart--probably this weekend. So I just shoved in the ones that came with the tiny tank. I was thinking more along the lines of "get out of the tiny tank now." This is the set-up for now:

It shows off some of my book collection more than anything else, but you get the idea. And this is another picture of her... It doesn't really show off how pretty she is. Ah, the disasters of lighting.

lastbook87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #12 
iamtetsuo

She's gorgeous!

I highly recommend live plants. They stabilize your water, and automatically cycle it. I have a Java Fern, and my betta loves it. Java ferns are very low maintenance, just remove any dead leaves. They need to be attached to a rock or log (mine's attached to a log). Another possibility are what's called "betta bulbs." You can find them at most pet stores (I saw some at Petsmart the other day). They'd be perfect for a 10 gallon. If you're going to get live plants you'll need a full spectrum bulb for your tank so they can get proper nutrition (actual sunlight is bad for the tank as it encourages algea growth).

Get something hollow so she can have somewhere to hide, Betta's love to have somewhere they can go hide and feel secure.
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #13 
Sella

haha Cute tank, I bet she's going to love having all that room! In the meantime why not get a cup for her to hide in?
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #14 
xxabc

Definitely crowd the tank with plants, she'll appreciate the cover. More crowding of plants (and less open space) helps relieve space. Are you going to get a hood? I hear females jump more often and/or higher than males, but not sure where I got it from. I would imagine she would still be a jumper anyway.

Get live plants if you're up for it, it'll do ya good.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice tank!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #16 
lastbook87

Thanks so much for all the advice again! I went ahead and put a colored mug in there for her, and though she hasn't really explored it too much, it has received at least a cursory acknowledgement. I think she's still getting used to all the space...

Actually, I did buy a pack of the "betta bulbs" at Walmart--they're the little brown rock-looking things at the bottom of the tank. iamtetsuo, have you ever had any experience with those? The opinions I found online seemed to say that there wasn't 100% germination, but I'd hardly expect that. As long as a few of them root, I figure it'll be good.

I went back after I got off work and ended up with a filter and a heater that are now installed and running nicely. They sure do ugly up a tank fast, don't they? Blegh. And so, I'm going to have my mother order me a tank hood with lights and everything instead.

I'm convinced now that the "betta fish bowl" mythology was created by companies to sell fish. I mean, who would buy one if they knew how much they really ought to be investing in taking care of their fish? Fish were always supposed to be the "cheap" alternative, but I guess that's just the industry talking.
lastbook87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #17 
iamtetsuo

I haven't had any direct experience with the betta bulbs. I was looking into getting them for my tank but was recommended something smaller since I have a 3 gallon tank.

Those that do germinate are supposed to be very nice though, and supposedly they grow quickly too.
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #18 
xxabc

Bleh. Fish are not the cheap alternatives to pets. That's definitely the industry's behind talking ;) The only thing I would use betta bowls for, is to make a cute little pot with some cute little plants. But no "cute little fish", thank you very much.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote