Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #1 
luckybatman

Please help!!

I just got my betta, Fancy (lol), a few days ago from eBay. He was fine all day today but when I went to check on him around 11pm, he was floating at the left too corner of his tank (very still) and had clamped fins. I don't know what could've happened. I did a 30% water change and tested for ammonia it's at zero. He lives in a fluval spec 2 gallon and has a heater. The temp is 82. I also added stress coat drops to his water. I tried to feed him and he did eat. The other betta I got on the same day as Fancy is from the same breeder and is doing fine. Can you tell me what's wrong with him? He is not active at all! :( :( :(
Pic now: Name:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  69.9 KB
luckybatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #2 
luckybatman

What he looked like before Name:  image.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #3 
huckleberry77

Cool

Sorry about your fish not being well. I don't know what the problem might be other than being stressed about a new tank... but your betta is very pretty and I bet it is a sibling to mine. Their looks are rather unique! Mine just arrived from Ebay too. I also got an unexpected extra fish and had to run out and get a whole new tank and heater, etc. to house him!

huckleberry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #4 
luckybatman

Wow what a small world! Your betta is so super cute. I recently saw your white lip betta on eBay and thought how cute he was. I know what you mean about having to get another tank. I was really surprised by the free fish the seller sent me, and I spent another $70 easily on buying tank, heater, plants, etc. It's been a crazy few days! Fancy is still sick, seems like he has melted fins or fin rot, and he is staying at the top of the tank, nose up. Waiting for petco to open in less than an hour so I can get some medicine. I really hope he gets better, I just got him Thursday. Thanks for your concern and well wishes!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #5 
huckleberry77

Yeah, the "free fish" ended up costing me a lot too. He is less flashy in color (dull red and cellophane butterfly, fleshy pale colored body with a little red on head) than the one I ordered, but his fins are pristine (super delta). The one I ordered has some damaged/broken rays on his ventral and dorsal fins But he is feisty and eating well... I hope he will heal. They just arrived yesterday.

Good luck with your fish! I hope you can get him perked up soon.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #6 
luckybatman

Your second fish sounds lovely as well! Mine is also super delta and much hardier. Fancy did also have some damage on his anal fins where fins were folded over onto others (melted fins perhaps), but now it is so much worse. I'm thinking he probably underwent a lot of stress being shipped here because he was a rosetail and now he looks like a veil tail. It's great that your fish is eating and feisty! That's a great sign!

I got some bettafix for my fish and put some drops in. He still looks really bad and is at the surface with his nose up in the air and clamped/damaged/melted fins. The good thing is that he's still eating and I fed him a small amount of pea in case he has bathroom issues lol. Thanks so much for your concern!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #7 
huckleberry77

So how is Fancy doing? Any improvement? How far do you live from the breeder? I am in NY (same as the breeder), which is why I ordered from her, I figured it would be less stress if the trip was shorter. Can you post a pic of the free fish you got as well? I am curious about what you got.

Here is a pic of my Freebie-
Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #8 
luckybatman

Your freebie is pretty! I love his markings!! Fancy is doing better. Some of his color has returned and he was flaring at his reflection today like he used to. He isn't only at the surface anymore, and I stopped bettafix and now just using aquarium salt and clean conditioned water. I hope he continues to get better!

Pic of him earlier today:
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  35.7 KB
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #9 
luckybatman

My other betta, Candy crush (not from eBay), is now sick with swim bladder disease so it's been a crazy week. I live in MD which is also why I ordered from that seller. Here is my freebie, Jolly Rancher:
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  80.6 KB
Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #10 
huckleberry77

That's great that Fancy is doing so much better!!
And Jolly Rancher is really gorgeous. The tank decor really complements his colors.
My husband calls my Freebie "brownie" and says he is brown :(. I think he's more subtle, but pretty in his own way.