Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 
LibraryFish

Top of the tank

Hey everyone-

My little guy is hanging out next to a plant at the top of the tank. When I came in this morning he was swimming around, and he's swimming around now, too, as I write this, but for most of the morning he's been pretty chill. Sometimes he'll just sit at the bottom of the tank, too.

He's a crowntail, and I've noticed that his fins aren't nicely splayed out like they are in so many of your avatar photos. Sometimes he'll spread them out, but mostly they seem to be closed up. I wouldn't say clamped, but not full, either.

Anyone have any thoughts? He's in a five gallon tank, water temp 78, filtered. I did a 50% water change on Thursday last week, and am going to do a 25-20% water change in a couple minutes. Also, my test strips are missing! Who steals test strips, anyway?!?
LibraryFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #2 
kingb

i had the same happen to my buddy last week, he would just lay at the bottom or at a top corner motionless and i got really worried cuz i'd never seen him like this. i just did a 50% water change and fasted him for one day and everything went back to normal, i also lowered feeding him from 7 pellets to 4 a day and im going to start fasting him 1 day a week. good luck!
kingb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #3 
LibraryFish

Well, I did a water change and haven't seen a change in him. He's fasted all weekend (I keep him at work), so he got a few pellets this morning and seemed excited to see a person hanging around.

I've also noticed that on his underside, behind his head/gills, it seems as though he's getting a lump protruding downwards. Is this bloating of some kind?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #4 
Mitsufishi

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squ...mbladder-3.jpg

Does he look sorta like that? Cause he may be bloated...SBD?
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #5 
andreig09

i think that if he's active at some moments of the day its a little early to worry about your betta, maybe he is scared about something... anyway, monitors your parameters...
andreig09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 
shards

i would take him home and monitor him for a little. maybe he's just bored thats what my betta did. also try getting a new plant or something. its boring living in the same place your whole life.
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #7 
LibraryFish

Thanks, Mitsufishi, for finding that photo. My little guy isn't nearly that bloated, but that's definitely the area I'm talking about. But maybe it is a bit early to start worrying. I'll keep an eye on him, and read about SBD in the meantime so I know what to do if it gets any worse.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #8 
xxabc

I don't think SBD is visible through a bloated stomach. SBD is visible through how they swim, and I believe that bladder is the bump near the end of the tail.

Are you sure the filter is not too strong? Sometimes bettas can really get picky about it. Mine sometimes is half open, not clamped or anything. But after playing with him (sticking my finger in there, having him follow and nip it) he fully opens up.

Perhaps there's something about your being gone over the three days. Perhaps something happened. Or even over the empty weekend. Bettas can get lonely without interaction from humans.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #9 
Katlyn023

My betta seems to just chill around his plant as well.
I just got him three days ago though, so I guess he's just getting adjusted.
I need to get him a little cave.
Katlyn023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #10 
LibraryFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I don't think SBD is visible through a bloated stomach. SBD is visible through how they swim, and I believe that bladder is the bump near the end of the tail.
I think you're right - it's not SBD. He's not swimming on his side, or having problems getting to the top or bottom of the tank, or struggling in any other way. Other forums suggest constipation and suggest feeding him a pea, but I thought that was bad for bettas?