Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a neighbor who has her betta in one. I asked her how she cleans it and she does partial changes every week and once a month she dumps everything out and gives it a good cleaning.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #12 
xxabc

How come "had"? Did you throw it out for any particular reason, or did it just kind of come and go?

Dramaqueen, wouldn't that destroy the cycle?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah but she's not cycling the tank.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #14 
xxabc

Well that changes a bit.

How necessary do you think it is to completely dump it out? If one wouldn't dump it out, what exactly builds up? Extreme gunk?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

She had a little bit of gunk build-up in the bottom of hers but was planning on taking care of it when she gets back from vacation. I'm going to take some pics of her 29 gallon tank and the biorb when I go over to take care of the fish and cat.She has tetras in the 29 gallon.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #16 
Quinn

Thanks for the help guys
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #17 
kelly528

I know its a real pain to cycle but with a betta in an 8g the ammonia is not gonna shoot wildly up anyways.

Pair this with the fact that even if you save the filter media, if you're cleaning the rest of the tank out then whose to say that the bacteria won't starve before the betta produces ammonia for them to eat. It only takes bacteria a few hours to die off from lack of ammonia.

Thirdly, as a goldfish enthusiast I can confirm that goldfish are a very common carrier of internal and external parasites. The farms from which both fancy and feeder goldfish come from can be pretty negligent with their less valuable, pet-store quality stock and therefore its routine for informed goldfish keepers to rigorously quarantine new godlfish and deworm them, something I doubt this lady has done if she was uninformed enough to house two goldfish in a 8g tank.

Oh and as an afterthought I'm sure that if you asked in the general forum you would get lots of god ideas on how to keep BiOrbs clean without having to dump them out often.

Last edited by kelly528; 04-07-2010 at 11:37 AM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #18 
fishmadcraig

Im not sure i would believe it is "cycled" correctly anyway. Any true fish enthusiast wouldn't keep a single goldfish in an 8gallon, let alone two, if they are commons they need at least 40 gallons. In a tank that small with 2 goldfish you should be prepared to do a 40% water change everyday to keep ammonia at a non toxic level. Not to mention the stunting effect that it would have on a goldfish.

I personally wouldn't worry about whether its cycled or not, anything under 10 gallons wont really benefit from being "cycled" anyways.
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #19 
BerkB33

Note: the "circular" shape, with ANY tank, will distort YOUR vision of the fish, and HIS vision of you! Same is true with bow fronts. As far as causing eye damage to either of you...got no clue!!!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #20 
kelly528

I know that certain fish like guppies and goldfish orient themselves according to the light... if you turned off all the lights and lit only one side of the tank, they would swim sideways. In a bowl where light bounces off the curves glass and appears to be 'coming from everywhere' as opposed to simply the top of the tank, yes this will disorient any fish that uses the light to find which way is up.

But I don't think this will be the case for a betta.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote