Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #1 
ashface

Unhappy Fish experts - I have a rare problem!

Dear Betta Lovers,

My Betta seems to have a unique sickness, at least, I can't find anything online for how to cure it. He has a large clear bubble, getting bigger by the day, growing underneath of him. At first, I treated him for constipation. Nothing. Next, I treated him for bacterial disease - nothing. I took him to a fish expert yesterday, and he said that it looks like the fish's breathing glands are blocked. He said this can happen due to putting too many chemicals in the water to treat tap water (which I may be guilty of) or he could have came this way. He also advised to switch his water out for plain, untreated tap water and that there's a 50/50 shot that it could help him. He also said some people pop the bubble with pins, and that's also a 50/50 shot. I am wary of doing either of these things, has anyone else ever had this problem? Or advice on how to fix it? I worry he may literally burst...

Another thing to mention is that aside from the large clear bubble growth, he's eating and swimming and acting normally. I just feel so bad for him. Hoping he's not in pain :(

Thank you so much for anything you can recommend.
ashface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #2 
ashface

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Pellets or TetraBetta Tropical Medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every 2 days, sometimes once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Full change once every 4-6 weeks, 20% every week or so
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat, and recently API Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Tested for ammonia only - normal.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Huge bubble under his throat
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 4-5 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? treated for constipation with fasting and a pea, treated for bacterial infection by doing a tank change and putting Bettafix in the tank for 7 days.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him 4 months ago from PetSmart, unsure of how old he was there.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #3 
myexplodingcat

I don't know enough to answer your question, but what if you bought betta water from a pet store? Or if you used bottled drinking water that's already been purified of all the chlorine and so on without chemicals--with reverse osmosis or something? Surely a hospital tank wouldn't need too much of either, and it would probably be better than tap water.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #4 
nel3

did you ever use unscented Epsom salt for your betta? my VT can hold a bit of moisture in his body. he has SBD from day one but I let him go with inadequate Epsom salt:ratio by accident recently while trying to find the right amount. this is what happens when there isn't enough Epsom salt for betta that hold more liquids than most. I went right back to 2tsp ES salt per 1g of water. within 12 hours his belly was normal. Epsom salt is also a soft cure for swim bladder disease. you can find Epsom salt in pharmacies though don't put any scented Epsom salts in a fish tank. frozen Daphnia or baby brine shrimp also can be fed to deal with constipation.

can you please post a pic of your fish?

this link might be interesting though im not sure if it'll pertain to your fish. 3rd last post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=400634
Attached Images

Last edited by nel3; 06-01-2014 at 06:15 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #5 
nel3

sorry for the double post, 2o minute time limit passed during edit

to continue on
you could start with 1tsp Epsom salt to 1g of water and see if the belly goes down. if it does then that's how much you need. if not add some more Epsom salt. I wouldn't surpass 3tsp for emergencies but its best to find the minimum amount be it 1tsp for some ppl or somewhere around 2tsp for mine.

Epsom salt is not to be confused with table salt or aquarium salt. table salt has no place in aquariums, AQ salt is more for finrot. ES salt is for SBD or constiptation. think of the salt you add in the bath tub or to soak your feet in ie Magnesium Sulphate.

popping the bubble will only create an open wound and its not advisable imo.

a pic from my vt's other side, disregard the inflamed gills, I took too long between water changes at that time.
Attached Images

Last edited by nel3; 06-01-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #6 
ashface

I've never used Epsom Salt for my fish, should I start? Does this always work? Any idea of what could have caused this from the start? Here is a picture of him. :(
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #7 
nel3

I highly suggest you get some Epsom salt, you can go with 1tsp per 1g to see if that gets his belly back to normal. then you see if he can handle 1tsp later on after he gets back to normal. Epsom salt helps to get rid of some body fluids in the fish.

you can judge the minimal dosage by how long the belly goes back to normal. if it takes a few days 4 days??? and it doesn't go back to normal then I suggest you add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per 1g to his tank. ive yet to go and check the minimum mine needs but I don't think mine will handle anything less than 1.5tsp. even 1.75tsp sounds more realistic in my case. though my next 100wc i'll add only 1.75tsp/1g.

my fish probably should have a bit less Epsom salt than 2tsp, his body is rather big but thin tail muscles.

if his belly comes back to normal add a bit less salt for your next 100WC or 20%wc if you can accurately judge how much ES salt is present. in my case his belly was clear on the bttom third and more body colour opaque on the upper areas. I was just as baffled as you were though I don't like using any sort of ____fix medicine. I just knew that it was possible it was SBD as I got him knowing he may have continual SBD issues for his life.

barring different colour body for our bettas, the pic of your betta is extremely familiar/similar to mine.

a quote from user Littlebluefishlets in my SBD thread
Quote:
I would try some metronidazole & praziquantel, such as API General Cure. This can help with parasites and anaerobic bacterial conditions. It's also a relatively mild treatment, so it doesn't put a lot of stress on the body.
in my case ive yet to try that as the Epsom salt seems to have done the trick.

Last edited by nel3; 06-01-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #8 
InStitches

ouch, that is a big bubble. What is the air contained in?
InStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #9 
JessiesGill

The photo reminds me of another thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=365209
JessiesGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InStitches View Post
ouch, that is a big bubble. What is the air contained in?
I doubt it, probably excess water. ES salt did wonders to remove my VT's bubble.

@jessiesgill: wow and I thought my VT had a bad bubble. that betta in the link had one that's even worse.