Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #1 
Sella

OPinions please =)

Heeey. So I've had Crake in a 5.5G tanks for about two weeks.
I have a filter, but when I first started running it a week or so ago, he got stuck in the intake, so I stopped using it until I figure out how to prevent the suction from sucking his little fins up.

He's got 4 clumps of Val in there, three clumps of Cambomba, and some Moneywart just floating around. I've got a fluroescent light set up above his tank for the plants and to illuminate him beautifully.
Oh and I have a heater that keeps 78 degrees, and a thermometer to check it with. And a little hidey hole to swim through which he loves.

He's starting to change color. He was, in the beginning, a yellowy-brown which I loved because it was different from all the other bettas I've seen, now it's as if someone splashed some gold around his gills, and dipped his fins in baby blue. He's also showing some color around his tail base and caudal body. It's pretty cool.

I only change his water once a week, I test his water every few days and every time there is NO AMMONIA AT ALL! I use the API liquid test, add the 8 drops, two bottles, wait five minutes etc..etc..
Is this becuase of the plants being awesome? Can I push water changes off if there is no ammonia reading?

Any thoughts on my tank set up and questions?

First pic is the before (When i first got him three-four weeks ago), last two pics are from a couple days ago
Attached Images

Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #2 
dukie1346

Well, I still would keep up with water changes, to be safe. Also, his coloring is beautiful. Isn't it nice to get a betta and see the colors bloom before your eyes?
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #3 
xxabc

It seems really nice according to your descriptions, and he's beauuuuutiful! I love his finnage.

Full tank shot please? :)

And yes, it's very possible your plants decided to be awesome.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 
Sella

OKay xxabc here is my full tank shot. I cut down the Cambomba today and generally tidied the tank up a little before hand. Crake asked me to do it before I put it on display.

Oh and the last picture is the veiltail I just got because we locked eyes and knew it was ment to be. He's a little under the weather from the deathcup so I hope he perks up soon!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #5 
Sella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie1346 View Post
Well, I still would keep up with water changes, to be safe. Also, his coloring is beautiful. Isn't it nice to get a betta and see the colors bloom before your eyes?

Thanks Dukie, I will keep up with them, I appreciate your response!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice tank!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #7 
xxabc

Gorgeous tank. Are you dosing any fert? Is that just regular black gravel?

I expect some fun out of your new veiltail's colors. That picture of him is just adorable, he's very lucky.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #8 
Sella

Nope, no fertilizer. I'm just learning as I go.. They've been growing quite well without it, and I haven't gotten as far as learning about fertilizer for the plants. I figured I'd give them a shot and see what happens. If they all die, then I'll either go silk or learn more about proper upkeep, but for the time being they're growing very well!
I assume the brown ends on the val is because I cut them back? I was going to wait until they become really brown and take them off and let the new shoots forming come up. I think the cutting was a mistake but.. I'll learn!

and yes that is regular Petsmart black gravel. with some seaglass I got from the pacific ocean =)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-07-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #9 
mysquishy

He is gorgeous and so is your new VT! The tank looks great.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #10 
xxabc

Alright thank you. And again, it's very pretty :)