Betta Fish Forum banner

Cheers to another one! (Pics to come)

2K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  xxabc 
#1 ·
SIGH. So I have a 10G community and a 2.5G betta set up. My mom said I can't get any more fish... but... long story short, I did > <"

My friend loves fish as well and encouraged me to go betta "window shopping" with her. I should know better that there's no such thing. I saw the cutest yellow crowntail. My dream was to have a yellow VT but this CT caught my heart ;] So.. I bought it. He's currently with my friend until I figure out what new excuse to conjure up so my mom won't go crazy on me...

WHY do bettas have to be so addicting?! TT_TT

(I have an empty 2G from my last girl (in my avatar RIP ;[ ))

#4 ·
I keep buying them too. I can't go look at them in the store or else I will want to take them all home. LOL I got my first one last month and now I am up to 4 and I still want to get a couple girls. I can't wait to see pics!

#9 ·
Just sit your mom down and clearly explain to her that a betta fetish (within reason) is a healthy hobby and past time, and there are worse things you could be doing with your time and money.
If she still says no, tell her you'll return it and spend the money on a pack of cigarettes and a cosmo. ; )

#11 ·
Actually the hobby thing is quite useful. I was doing a water change today and my mom was "complaining" to her friend on the phone about how I "waste my time" with them. But the gossiping ended up with my mom admitting "but at least it's some kind of hobby, and helps keeps her mind off of homework and stress."

So, I scored, and I know I'm in the clear now. Ha :)

#12 ·
Omgosh how lucky! I always play the "at least I'm not doing drugs/alcohol" card and she always retorts by saying that if I did, she'd kill me =.= She wants me to focus on homework/studying so she wants the fish OUT. I'm a pretty sheltered Asian yep yep :|

Anyways, the plan is in effect! >:]
My current fish "died" tonight (he's actually in the process of being transported to a friend's house to live the rest of his months) but according to my mother, he "died." Well that's the excuse I gave her >.<"

I have the betta I purchased and will pretend my other friend will "drop" him off tomorrow morning :D His body is yellow and his tail is a light green/yellow. I'll post pics up ASAP!!! I'm transferring him in my tank tomorrow morning before my mom wakes up! @_@

Ooo and I just got a nice new heater for him so he'll stay nice and warm :) My old one was only keeping the temp to 70s these days :/

#13 ·
Here he is!! The bugger that made me go through all this trouble! I got black gravel for him so I'll post an update with better pics soon! This was just taken on my phone > <

I still have to think of a name :)

Man I just noticed.. this picture makes him look pretty dull/average :( But he's really pretty in real life!!

#16 ·
Oh goodness! He is beautiful. I can totally see why you went through all the trouble to sneak him in!!! I want him! LOL I really like his colors.

#19 ·
He is awesome! No wonder you wanted him, he would "steal" my heart too.
If you were my kid, I would be crazy happy that you like bettas. We could go shopping for new betta boys together! At one time I had 11 bettas and each was different, so this is just a beginning (didn't mean to scare you off). Don't worry, your mom will get used to idea you having fish. Just take it slow, keep up with homework, show you're responsible and she will let you have more very soon.

#23 ·
He's.

Gorgeous.

Lol, I'm a very sheltered asian! (Sorry to bring race, if this offends anybody). But the reason I get to keep them is, one: I read next to them. I find it relaxing and have never read better (false, I actually get distracted, but this is what my parents believe, LOL. However it still is very nice and keeps me reading for longer periods of time). Before my fish, sleeping about 4-5 hours a day, I got uber-cranky. After the fish, and same lack of sleep as always, they noticed I was better managed and less cranky, because I had something ELSE to do besides my homework and studies in my "free time". But the main contributor has to be my rank in school. Comparing freshman to sophomore (current) rank, I went up about 40 people in my class. That is definitely why they didn't kill them...yet. I just have to make sure I don't drop a single rank down.

Where did you get your betta? I noticed my Petco has being getting LOTS of more opaque colors, bright colors, and fairly uncommon colors... super-score for me, but not for my friend: the wallet... (who is currently in the hospital after being bled out...haha)

#24 ·
Thanks everyone! ^_^ You’re responses are all reassuring me that I have no regrets! Hahaha~
So Ive been trying to take better pics of him but he's SO camera shy! And my digital camera doesn’t do him justice :[ I'll have to wait till tomorrow when I can try my luck with my DSLR :/ (It's not charged)

He is awesome! No wonder you wanted him, he would "steal" my heart too.
If you were my kid, I would be crazy happy that you like bettas. We could go shopping for new betta boys together! At one time I had 11 bettas and each was different, so this is just a beginning (didn't mean to scare you off). Don't worry, your mom will get used to idea you having fish. Just take it slow, keep up with homework, show you're responsible and she will let you have more very soon.
Omgoodness we’d have SO MANY BETTAS!!!! Haha!! xD I’m a senior going to college this fall so it’s too late for me to get any more :C She’s letting me take ONE to college ;_; and since I’m going to a college 30 minutes away she’ll visit my dorm =.= gosh. I’ll probably sneak another one.. or three in anyways ^^

Where did you get your betta? I noticed my Petco has being getting LOTS of more opaque colors, bright colors, and fairly uncommon colors... super-score for me, but not for my friend: the wallet... (who is currently in the hospital after being bled out...haha)
First off, since getting my bettas, my grades have been… the same as always :/ sigh. Anyways! I have 2 Petcos, 1 Petsmart and 1 LFS close by me. The Petsmart and the LFS are average/below average in betta stock/treatment, BUT my wonderful Petcos are, well, wonderful! They use large cups and the water is always so clean! Not to mention the selection! They have a wide selection of colors and variation J The only one I’ve failed to see that I want so badly is the dragon T_T As for my wallet… let’s not talk about that poor fellow :[

#25 ·
My petco's waters are fabulously clear, no poop or nothing! But the bettas are still diseased, sick, and dead. Blows my mind.

And why the heck are you in a dorm room when you live 30 minutes away??
Just kidding. We all know why, haha. As for my rank, let's um, say... I did pretty badly during freshman year. :) And goodness about the "one fish." You're probably going to smuggle them all, aren't you? Just tell your mom if she's willing to take care of them. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.