Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Question It don't matter if your black or white!

Just kidding, I won't be quoting Michael Jackson anymore! Haha it just came to mind with my question. What do you prefer black or white gravel? I want to change it up in my 5 gallon I will be taking to college. The other decor will probably be a white dino skull or a beach theme. I really like both but can't decide, it somewhat would depend on what color the betta is, but I haven't chosen who I'm taking.. so I'm going to leave it up to you guys. What do you think? Please post pictures if you have a tank with either color of gravel! Thanks!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #2 
xxabc

I have white gravel, mixed in with various marbles. White gravel seems to look prettier more crowded, IMO. It's also very bright, and very lively.

My next tank will DEFINITELY be black. The white is sticking out too strongly for my taste now. Black seems to be more chic, and looks absolutely lovely decorated. Plus it brings out the colors in everything else in the tank (ESPECIALLY bettas!)

I would have to say, go with black. And decorate well. Live plants look gorgeous on black gravel as well :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I have both black and white and I love both, but I think I like the white better.lol Here's a thread on one of my tanks with the white rocks. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40134
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #4 
bloo97

I have brown gravel. It gives it a "Natural" feel.
:D
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I have black in my 10 gallon. Its actually eco-complete but it looks like gravel. I really like the black... it really makes your fish and decorations pop. I've also heard that white gravel can stain really easy.

For actual gravel I prefer the natural colored gravel.. for a really light colored fish I like black.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #6 
nacho

I think it would be good to consider what color your room is at school. If it's a drab off-white wall color, black is definitely the better choice. White, however, would look pristine and luxurious. Black can pull off sophistication.

I prefer black for timelessness, and white for a modern type of room. Your pick! I think either would look great --- depending on what the room and furnishing look like.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #7 
puddin

I have both black and natural gravel. I like the white too but have heard from many that it attracts green algae that is really hard to clean off.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Ooo we've got a good split here. Haha I'm thinking black. I like "nachos" opinion on black being sophistocated (for a fish tank :) and I think white is a little too "drastic". Thanks everyone for helping me decide! Oh and how many pounds for a 5 gallon? I always forget!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

1 lb/gallon is the rule I think but I always go with what I think looks best :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #10 
xxabc

I have 7lbs for my 5 gallon, and it's very adequate, but 5 lbs should be fine. Although sometimes it matters how long / tall it is.

I'm not sure about the white gravel staining / white gravel algae? I've had this for months and I have yet to have either (and I'm not sure what you mean by staining). And algae is kept down by controlling the light, so if you have green algae on white gravel, I think I know who's fault it is...... haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote