Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #1 
kamilkaze13

Unhappy Again

Two weeks ago i thought my Betta had finally got over fin melt, so i decided to reintroduce him in my 15 gallon comunity tank. My tank had just recovered from ich. Today i noticed terrible ich all over my fish, again. Don't know what to try... I used salt, medication, everything, and one fish is dying per day. I've already lost half of my neon tetras and goldfish. Im using heat now but i don't really see a change. What can i do?
kamilkaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

What temperature is the tank?

Heat is all that's needed to treat ich. But you need to keep the temperature elevated consistently. If it drops, the treatment won't be effective.

1) Elevate the temp to at least 86F. Keep it there until 5-6 days after you see the last of the white spots.

2) If the Ich doesn't go away, you may have a heat-resistant strain. In that case, raise the temp to 87-88F.

Note: This treatment works for Bettas. I'm not familiar with the temp requirements of tetras or goldfish, so first, check to see if they can handle this elevated temperature. If they're not, then you may need to use a different treatment for them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #3 
givemethatfish

Neons are ok with that temperature to treat ich, as they are tropical fish. Goldfish, however, will not be ok with temperatures above 85 degrees. Goldfish are cold water fish and should really not be kept with tropical fish. Plus, goldfish are dirty, dirty fish and really need more than 15 gallons for a single goldfish.

My speculation would be that, depending on the usual temperature of your tank, either your neons or your goldfish are probably in a constant state of stress. That combined with lower water quality due to goldfish in an inadequate tank size is causing your fish to become susceptible. Most healthy aquarium fish have a decent resistance built up to ich which helps limit the outbreak.

I would suggest moving either the goldfish or neons to a different tank of appropriate size and treating them separately, with appropriate water temperatures. Keeping them together keeps the fish stressed out, which lowers their immune system, which makes them all more susceptible to further ich outbreaks.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

Again

In my experience goldfish can handle the high temps required to treat ich perfectly fine. Too, to keep in mind, is that many ponds will creep into the 90s in the summer months. Goldfish are temperate fish, not cold water. They live through a wide range of changing temperatures.

There are a lot of "tropical" fish that aren't so tropical, including neons. The lower end of their temperature range is in the high 60s. There are LOTS of fish of which this is true - barbs, Corys, danios, livebearers, cichlids, etc. Not every fish must be kept at 78-80 degrees. That's a REALLY narrow window.

Last edited by jaysee; 06-02-2014 at 01:26 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #5 
kamilkaze13

Thanks, i didn't had a very good heater but i got a 50 watt one yesterday and im using heat treatment. I know goldfish shouldnt be on that tank but they were given to me as a gift and they were just feeder goldfish (comets). There is only one of them left. I think they were the ones that brought the ich.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Again

It's very likely that they brought it. Feeders are not cared for as well as other fish.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #7 
kamilkaze13

My 3 neons died and the other 2 goldfish died too.