Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Cycling help

I'm getting a 10 gallon tank for my betta soon and I keep hearing about cycling. However, I know nothing about it. Could someone give me the run down on how to properly cycle a 10 gallon tank, how long it will take, etc. Thanks!
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #2 
BerkB33

Wow, if you're just starting to learn about cycling the best bet is to google "aquarium cycling" and you'll get more info. than Bayer has aspirin! Read some articles by some of the "pros" there...then comeback here and "fine tune" and ask questions. I've read a lot of the articles on the web and some of them are very good...others not so good. IMO, that's the best way to learn...if I tried to explain it, I think I'd just confuse you.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #3 
brancasterr

I've tried google searching and all I get is conflicting ideas on how to do it. I was more so looking for a know-to-work procedure someone already native to the boards has used and still uses to cycle their own tanks.

However, if you would like to recommend an article or two on a method you know works well I would love to read it. It's just the fact that so many people who *think* they know what they are doing have access to posting anything they want on the internet, regardless of the validity, turns me off of google searching something I have absolutely no knowledge on. For example, if I read an article that seemed legit and at the end told me to pour pounds of aquarium salt into my tank at the end I probably would. Alright, maybe I'm being a little extreme but you get the picture. :) Haha.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #4 
Neelie

there are different ways of doing it and really everyone tries around and see's what works. i cycled my tank using chemicals in 4 days... most ppl will tell you to do it with ammonia and it takes 8 weeks or more...
i think best thing to do is wait till a few pro's see the thread and post what they think! :) patience for now
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #5 
BerkB33

Aquahobby.com and fishlore.com both have a number of excellent articles on tank cycling.

Note: I do know what you mean about "just anybody" being able to post whatever information they want on the internet...right or wrong?!?!?
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #6 
Kittles

Here are several articles members of this forum have either made and / or suggested:

http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tf...ad.php?t=60022
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/

I hope they're able to answer most, if not all, of your questions.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

The first thing you need to do is decide whether you want to do a fish in or a fish less cycle. Obviously a fish in means the fish will be in the tank while it is cycling and a fish less means you will first cycle the tank then add the fish.

The basic run down of a cycle is you introduce an ammonia source to the tank (in the form of: pure ammonia, fish food, fish waste) then a bacteria forms which absorbs the ammonia and produces Nitrites. After that a second bacteria forms which absorbs the nitrites and produces nitrates. You will know when you are cycled because you will have readings of 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, and 5-20ppm Nitrate constantly for several days straight.

Here is a link about fish in cycling. It is MUCH harder than fish less but I prefer this method because it is more natural IMO.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=34505
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #8 
brancasterr

Okay, so I went to the pet store today after doing an exhausting search for some form of ammonia to start cycling my tank. Couldn't find ammonia anywhere...and I mean anywhere. So I found this stuff called Nutrafin Cycle that claims to "Immediately Establish Safe Biological Aquarium Environent" and "Allows Immediate Introduction of Fish".

The back reads: Nutrafin Cycle is a responsive biological aquarium supplement that ensures that all aquariums are immediately inoculated with a powerful team of beneficial bacteria, providing a safe biological habitat for your fish. These highly effective micro-organisms will create a biological flora that quickly metabolizes lethal ammonia and nitrite.

It advertises that it is a new proven to work formula.

My question is: do you guys think this will work? Has anyone ever used it before?

The fish guy at the pet store, who seemed to know a lot about fish (surprising, I know), said that this is the only chemical product he knows that actually works. He said most others don't do anything.

Hmmm...I'm desperate to cycle my tank and I can't find the ammonia to do so.