Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #1 
brancasterr

New 10 gallon

Okay, so I'm getting a 10 gallon rectangular tank for my next betta. I decided to wait to get a new one until after I have a new tank so I don't stress him out moving him from the smaller bowl to the 10 gallon.

Now I have a few questions on keeping a betta in such a large tank, seeing as the maintenance is probably significantly different than that of a 1.5 gallon.

So here goes:

-Do I need to do partial water changes? If so, how much and how many times a week.

-Do I need to cycle the tank before I put him in it. If so, how?

-I know I need a filter but I need a good recommendation for one that will filter 10 gallons but not upset my betta.

-Suggestions on heaters, I don't think my current will heat a 10 gallon.

-Any other tips anyone see's fit to throw at me.

Thanks everyone. :)
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #2 
brancasterr

Also, good ways to keep the water clean and keep my betta happy and healthy. :)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #3 
xxabc

Congratulaaaations on a (soon to be) new 10 :)

Partial water changes are a must. However, I would say it's much safer in the 10, so you can space out the days you do changes. In my 5gal, I do 50% twice a week, and some people say its more than necessary (although you really can never do "too many" water changes, unless you're just doing it wrong).

When you're cycling, every other day or third day. But again, I'm just plain bad at cycling and water change schedule, so... I'm sorry ! I know some other people can help you though.

Fishless cycling is definitely better. The 1.5 gal he's in currently should be okay, especially if its heated and filtered. I would say fishless cycling, however I always to fish-in cycling (as bad as it is), but keep religious to the water changes. With fishless, you would end up doing 2 water changes on separate tanks, so if you're really really stuck on time, fish in may just help you.

Is the tank you're getting now not coming with a filter? I have no knowledge of brands, sorry. If it's too strong, you can always manually buffer it. No need to really limit yourself to some (although adjustable ones are just plain easier to work with)

What's your current heater? Tetra whisper 2-15 will do okay, however lots of people here seem to recommend Visitherm.

Again, crowd your tank (or just don't have open space)! 10 gallon will definitely take up some of your money. Do it slowly if need be, or experiment with live plants if you're willing.

Just a question, how are you doing water changes to your 1.5 right now?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #4 
xxabc

Oh, and, play with your betta. Bettas obviously seem to love human interaction.

When you feed him, have him chase his food down (I just do this for fun, not stimulation), run up your finger against his tank and have him follow, etc. I do this often just to mess with him.

When you buy him, he will probably be sick, sadly. Just be prepared for it. Buy some aquarium salt if you don't have any already!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #5 
brancasterr

In the 1.5g I did water changes every Wednesday and Sunday. 50% on Wednesday and 100% on Sundays.

About fishless cycling. Why exactly do I need two tanks? And I would still have to do water changes every other day in a 10 gallon with a filter?

I know absolutely nothing about keeping larger tanks and about cycling.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #6 
xxabc

By two tanks, I was talking about your current 1.5g, and the new 10g. Not as in buying another, haha. And I just realized, You currently do not have a betta, so nix that, lol.

I have never done a fishless cycle, but here is what I do know:

Well in a fishless cycle, you don't have to do any water changes. First invest in an aquarium test kit (API Master Kit is pretty recommended) and get ammonia...I think it must be added manually. I don't know what the source should be either. There is some sort of calculator to determine how much ammonia you need, you can google that.

That's all I really can tell you without leading you into the wrong direction !

As for WHEN it's cycled, I think you only need to do weekly changes, maybe 20-30%.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #7 
soleilvie

Here is an informative sticky on cycling: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

There are different ways to do a fishless cycle, but using pure ammonia is meant to be the cleanest and easiest way.

Here is an ammonia calculator to help determine how much ammonia you need to add to your tank: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

You will be adding ammonia everyday, or as necessary (as shown by your water test kit) to keep the level of ammonia the same everyday.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote