Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #1 
Pois

Is That Fin Rot?

On Saturday, I saw this little guy at Petco, but at the time I had to pass him up. I bought him today and named him Kona. Apparently he's a HMPK, but due to his odd finnage, I don't know if he was mislabeled and has fin rot, or if he was just born odd. I have him floating in a one gallon quarantine tank with half betta clout water premixed and half regular clean water. Will clout work for fin rot, or should I do Epsom or aquarium salt instead? Is this even fin rot? Can I put him in clout either way? I've not dealt with a lot of fin rot, and I remember a lady I know telling me clout can be used for fin rot, but I don't know if that's really true.
He's a gorgeous boy even with funky fins though, and once he colors up, he's got these very very pale dragon scales, so in another week or so he should be beautiful. I just can't tell if this is fin rot or natural coloring. Help?
Attached Images

Pois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #2 
Elvette Emmett

I have no idea what clout is, but yes that is fin rot. Clean warm water and regular water changes will be good, add aquarium salt if needed
Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #3 
Pois

Alrighty, thank you!
I actually spelled that wrong. XP Klout is used to treat velvet.
Actually, I dunno what clout or klout is either! I was given some by Petco to treat velvet because that's what they use, but I have no clue what it actually is or what it's commonly used for. I looked it up and can't find it. Weird!
I'll change this water then and put in some aquarium salt and keep it warm. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Pois; 06-02-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #4 
Sabina88

Just be carful with using the aquarium salts,
I would suggest on top of what Elvette Emmett said, is do 100% water changes for the first few days to start getting rid of the bacteria. But if hes in a larger tank or one that's cycled then just do larger frequent water changes at first. Also adding some stress coat may help as well.

Poor boy, I cant belive his tail is almost gone. He will deffinitly be amazing once he gets all better under your care
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #5 
Pois

He was sold as an HMPK, so I almost wonder if he actually has a short tail and the rot just ate it down? That'd be neat.
I can't wait to see him color up, too. Those pretty, hardly visibly dragon scales are going to be beautiful. He'll be loved!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #6 
Sabina88

Looking at whats left of his doral and anal fins, they look to long to be a plaket, I know there are some longer fined plakets but I think his are a lot longer then that to. Regardless still a pretty boy :)

These are plaket bettas, notice the difference between Konas now even with fin rot the these lengths.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #7 
Pois

Yeah, I know that, but (and I'm not a genetics breeder, so don't quote me) what if he got the Plakat tail and HM dorsal and anal fins? I'd imagine it's possible. What do you think?
One thing that interested me is that his fins are -exactly- the same as they were on Saturday. Wouldn't fin rot have been making them worse? There's literally no change. I didn't notice until a while ago when I was looking him over closely.
One of the actually knowledgeable fish people in Petco wasn't sure either because there's nothing that really looks like fin rot excuse that black line on the tail. No growth, none of that or anything. That's why I still am not sure if it's fin rot or coloring. I'll treat him, of course, just in case (a little aquarium salt never hurt anyone if it was properly dissolved before the fishy went in) but I just don't know.
I'm experienced in bettas, it's just when I run into certain problems I get confused. xD
Now note that black tip around that bottom plakat tail. Maybe that's what it really is? He looks almost like he's got some Wild Type in him, with that long thin body and horizontal lines, though you can't see them as plainly on the side I pictured. I think there is some HM in there too, because of the size of those fins, or at least super delta. The colors on his tail look at lot like either salamander or butterfly, and of course the dragon scales, but to me, he's essentially, so far, a silver dragon scaled HMPK.

Last edited by Pois; 06-02-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #8 
Sabina88

I don't think its possible to have them with long anal fins and darsal fins and have a PK tail. I don't think any one has ever breed that and I think it might be hard for a fish to swim with that combo of fin type. Though im not a breeder either but still.

The black around the white dragon scale PK is coloring. Your boy has fin rot. You can tell because of how ragged his fins are, and if you compare the white PK to your boys tail youll notice that while their both full grown konas tail is extremely close to the body while the pks tail is full and open. It looks like Kona is PK for now because he has lost so much of his tail fin.
It will probably take him a bit longer to start healing up since hes pretty pale in the photos and his fins are pretty ragged. But in time they should slowly start to look better.
New growth is also hard to tell sometimes because its clear and can start out really small.

Do you have some recent update photos of him?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #9 
Sabina88

Ignore the above post, I was rushing. Bellow is what I meant to write and not so rushed.

I dont think any one has breed bettas with long fins with a placket tail. And I don't think its possible geneticly as far as I now.

Fin rot is charecterized by ragged fins and balck around the edges were the fin is receading. You can tell kona has it because his fins are ragged and a large portion is his tail is missing. You can also tell kona isn't a pk because his fins are very long compared to a plakets short fins if he was a pk even with fin rot his fins would be more preportional, and even if he was a pk his tail wouldnt be so little and so close to the body.
Notice how the black around konas fins is dull and almost gray while for example looking at the white dragon scale pk the black is a viberent outline.

It also may take him a bit longer to heal up since his fins aren't that great. New growth is also hard to see sometomes at first since its clear and can start out verry small. In time though his fins should start growing back.

Last edited by Sabina88; 06-02-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #10 
Sabina88

Could you answer these also do you have any updated photos of him from today or yesterday

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?