Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #1 
kingb

accesories for betta q?

is there anything to put in my 2.5 gal for my betta to play with or help him get some exercise? i saw this mirror by zoomed and thought if it would be a good idea or any other that could be fun for my betta.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Floating-B...0483835&sr=8-1
kingb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

I use that mirror and I really like it. Just make sure its not stressing out your fish and you should be fine. I usually put mine in the tank for 5-10 minutes depending on the fish.

If your fish swims away from it and hides don't continue to put it in there because it will just stress the fish out. As long as the fish is flaring and displaying its fine. If the fish attacks the mirror take it out because it will stress him out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #3 
kingb

thanks! is there any other toy besides the mirror for bettas? my main problem is that the tank is not too big ( 2.5 gal ).
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

You can try putting a ping pong ball in there.. my fish always ignored it though. I wouldn't worry too much about exercising your fish unless it looks like its getting too fat.. even then lowering the amount of food should keep it in form.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #5 
kingb

well im not really worried about my betta getting fat. my main concern is just putting something in the tank so he can play from time to time and not get bored.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #6 
xxabc

Hamster tubes? To let them swim through? Although it shouldn't be too long, or too small, in case they want to go an opposite way.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah you can do hamster tubes, but like xxabc said, they can't be too long. You could also put in a glass coffee mug or buy terracotta pots at a thrift store for cheap and smash a couple pieces off so your fish can go in and out of it (make sure you sand down the edges so they aren't sharp). Some people put little balls in there that float on the top and it keeps them entertained. You can also draw on the tank with washable markers (some people use this method if their fish are biting their tails because it helps distract them).
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 
Apriles

That's a good idea about using the washable markers. They even have window markers by crayola especially made for drawing on glass or acrylic that clean up easily.

I bet my 5 yo would like to draw on the tank for her fish. It may help keep her engaged as well as be entertaining for the fish. :)
Apriles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Lol! :P
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote