Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #1 
gogolg87

Betta just floating and barely moving?!?!

Ok Yesterday Ignis was moving around just fine and then later at night only seemed to be staying inbetween the heater and the glass. today he is floating on his side or up against the glass and hardly moving. He may start Moving a little but stops floats to the top and turns to his side and stays there for hours barely moving..Does anyone have any idea of whats going on?? He isnt bloated or anything the temperature is at 80 degrees and the water levels are good. Please help!
gogolg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #2 
DarthMaul
Banned

sounds like swim blatter disorder to me =[ i have gone through this with a betta. You need to lower the water level so it is easier for the lil guy to get to the top. What EXACTLY are the water lvls? How often are you doing water changes, etc?
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #3 
gogolg87

ammonia is 0 and ph is 6.5 not sure about the nitrite and nitrate lvls though. I thought there was bloating with SBD though? All I can tell is he just lays there and occasionally swims about and then just floats right back up..Should I add some salt with a water change for good measure..i just changed his water about 36 hours ago.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #4 
DarthMaul
Banned

well laying on his side and not being able to stay down and just floats back up are all signs of SBD. How much of the water do you change and HOW often do you do it? How much do you feed him and what do you feed him?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #5 
gogolg87

I do a 50% change every other day I feed him on a schedule of betta pellets one day, baby shrimp the next, and blood worms the third and then start the cycle over again. I feed him once a day in the morning before I go to work three pellets, two shrimp, and i break up two worms.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #6 
DarthMaul
Banned

wait you feed you 3 pellets, 2 shrimp and 2 worms ALL at once?? That is A LOT of food for a betta every day. He could be all constipated up.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #7 
gogolg87

no no no no...lol...on the cycle..one day three pellets, one day two shrimp, one day two worms..make more sense? lol
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #8 
DarthMaul
Banned

it does... IME/IMO 2 bloodworms COULD be a little to much for 1 meal especially every 3 days. He could be all constipated. We need an expert in here stat! Also, SBD might not be out of the question just yet. I really hope its just constipation
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #9 
gogolg87

yeah and as this just started occuring this morning i doubt there would be any advanced symptoms yet..i just want to make the right moves here before anything gets potentially serious. im thinking about adding a tsp of epsom salt i here it does a lot for constipation and helps a lot with the water.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #10 
DarthMaul
Banned

bloating can come out of no where and can just go away just as fast! I have seen it! Like i said, we need an expert in here