Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #1 
Omnis Potens

Betta fish fin rot? Frequent water change or use medication?

Sup peoples. A newbie looking for some expert advice. I think my Betta has fin rot? I made some videos so you guys can give your opinions. His tail appeared like that after the 3rd day in his new tank, which is an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 with a Marineland 25 Watt heater and a silk plant. The water was prepped with Jungle Labs Start Right Tank Buddies tablets and aquarium salt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuoQzsTlzQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg4S2-lZ5xU

Thanks!
Omnis Potens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 
nochoramet

It looks like it to me, my guy has fin rot and looks almost just like that, only worse. How often do you change the water? And how long have you had him? Do you know the water params?
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #3 
FuulieQ

Yes, that does look like fin rot to me.

When Freedy was battling fin rot, I changed the water every day/every other day about 50% to keep it really clean, and put a bit of salt in it. That cleared it up in about a week or so. :)

But wait for the experts to get here, they'll tell you more definitively what to do.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #4 
nochoramet

Ditto to what FuulieQ said, and if it doesn't get better by a few weeks, try Jungle Fungus Clear or Jungle Fungus Eliminator.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #5 
JamieTron

I would try salt baths before jumping right to meds. Meds are more stressful and you have to be careful with the dose. I would pick up some aquarium salt from your local pet store or even Walmart might have some. Make a bath with clean treated water that is the same temperature as your fish's tank. Follow the instructions on the box, I believe it is usually 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water...I normally make a 1 gallon bath with 1/2 teaspoon of salt in it. You can bath them about 1 or 2 times a days for a couple of days for a few days.

If you see no progress I would go check out some of the meds at the petstore, but I would try salt baths first.

I hope this helps
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote