Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #1 
Apriles

Bought our First Tank - Progress so far

So me and the little one headed out to PetSmart today to start getting our Betta supplies.

We picked up the 5 gal Aqueon Minibow aquarium. I give a big thumbs up to this tank so far. It is acrylic but for me (and the fact I was carrying it home on the bus) that is OK. One of the biggest things I'm impressed with is the filter...it is silent! I had to keep checking to see if it was working it is so quiet.

Anyways...

We also bought gravel, some water conditioner, a vacuum, fish net, and a frill plant (live).

They were out of the heater I wanted and they didn't have the testing kit I was looking for either. That's OK since we weren't buying our fish yet so we can get his home set up first.

We set up the tank with what we have so far. I definatly need to get more plants. The guy at the store was under the impression that one plant would be plenty. Well my one plant looks kinda sad and all alone. I think next time I go I'll pick up maybe two more frill and some java fern.

I've been suprised at how excited my 5 year old has been through all this. She was all involved in each part of the set up and is more than happy that we are getting the fishes home all ready. I thought she would be bummed out that we weren't buying the actual fish today but she agreed that we needed to have a "happy home" for the fish first. :)
Apriles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like your new betta is going to have a very nice home to come to. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #3 
kelly528

Good to hear that she's so quickly catching onto the idea of preparing for a pet in advance. $20 says that when she is out on her own she will NOT be one of those jokers impulsively buying a puppy in the pet-store window only to give it up 6 months later because its too much of a nuisance!

I have heard nothing but good things about those Minibows... the filters may not have enough horsepower to handle a small community or other tropical fish but for a betta they are just perfect!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #4 
Starbright

I have a 2.5 minibow and I wish I got the 5 gallon! The filter took up SO much space I ended up throwing it out to give my betta more swimming room > <"

It's a lovely tank and I'm sure your betta will absolutely love it! Post pics soon!!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #5 
Tinthalas Tigris

Just a heads up, in case you decide to learn more about the "Frill" plant that Petsmart sells. "Frill" Is a made up name. I don't know why they call it that.

It is actually called "Red Foxtail," or Myriophyllum Tuberculatum. It is native to the North East United States. Fantastic plant. It is the favorite in my aquarium.

Make sure you remove the sponge tied around it, and separating the individual stalks a little bit if you want it to grow quickly. You can keep them bunched together and they will grow much slower (I did it this way).

I highly recommend instead of getting more frill, instead get the Red Ludwigia, also sold at pet smart. It is a pretty green with undersides of Red. It gives an awesome contrast between the frill.

Congratulations on your tank and little one's combined patience and anticipation.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #6 
xxabc

I really thought "frill" plant was java fern, but only from thinking 'frill' as an adjective here. Why does my petsmart all have only dying plants? Geez, haha. I also recommend red ludwigia, it seems gorgeous. I'm getting that soon (however, they're all DEAD at my petsmart. Hm.)

Good job at pre-planning everything!!

Yes, one plant will not be enough. This is pure suggestion, but I recommend crowding the tank as much as possible with plants and/or decorations. Proves itself to cause less stress on a betta and more sense of "security." And I promise, seeing your betta swim around the tank is very, very enjoyable. For me, anyway ;)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #7 
Apriles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Good to hear that she's so quickly catching onto the idea of preparing for a pet in advance. $20 says that when she is out on her own she will NOT be one of those jokers impulsively buying a puppy in the pet-store window only to give it up 6 months later because its too much of a nuisance!

I have heard nothing but good things about those Minibows... the filters may not have enough horsepower to handle a small community or other tropical fish but for a betta they are just perfect!

Yeah I really didn't want her to get the idea that you just wake up one day and run out to the pet store with no preplanning . Pets are a big responsibility and while they can be fun...you have to take care of them even when they aren't being fun.

She's been really good with the whole thing. Right now she likes to show my friends who come over the tank and explain that it will be her fishes new home once it is ready. :)
Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #8 
Apriles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
Just a heads up, in case you decide to learn more about the "Frill" plant that Petsmart sells. "Frill" Is a made up name. I don't know why they call it that.

It is actually called "Red Foxtail," or Myriophyllum Tuberculatum. It is native to the North East United States. Fantastic plant. It is the favorite in my aquarium.

Make sure you remove the sponge tied around it, and separating the individual stalks a little bit if you want it to grow quickly. You can keep them bunched together and they will grow much slower (I did it this way).

I highly recommend instead of getting more frill, instead get the Red Ludwigia, also sold at pet smart. It is a pretty green with undersides of Red. It gives an awesome contrast between the frill.

Congratulations on your tank and little one's combined patience and anticipation.
Thanks for all the good plant information. I kind of like the look of the frill and might get one more bunch. Though I will also look for the Ludwigia when i go back as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #9 
Apriles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I really thought "frill" plant was java fern, but only from thinking 'frill' as an adjective here. Why does my petsmart all have only dying plants? Geez, haha. I also recommend red ludwigia, it seems gorgeous. I'm getting that soon (however, they're all DEAD at my petsmart. Hm.)

Good job at pre-planning everything!!

Yes, one plant will not be enough. This is pure suggestion, but I recommend crowding the tank as much as possible with plants and/or decorations. Proves itself to cause less stress on a betta and more sense of "security." And I promise, seeing your betta swim around the tank is very, very enjoyable. For me, anyway ;)

I've seen your advice about crowding the tank with plants before and agree with you. Besides I think a nicely planted tank is so much prettier to look at as well.