Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #1 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Betta fin rot/damage

I noticed my betta has the slightest bit of damage to his perfect little tail; it's only about 2-3mm so I've caught it early but I am not sure if it is fin rot or if it's just damaged (there are no black bits around it). Anyway I've put some melafix in for him; do I need to increase the temperature as well; or is there anything else I can do, apart from melafix? His tank is kept at 25oC.

Thanks
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

For fin rot you can use aquarium salt and that'll heal him right up. I don't go to medication unless I absolutely have to. Melafix is one of the controversial medications. I've heard good and bad things about it, but mostly bad. It's up to you what you want to treat your fish with, but I would suggest getting rid of the Melafix and put some aquarium salt in there. Warm, clean water and salt will do wonders. :) Also, the temp of the tank should be 76-80*F but you should turn it up to 80-82*F. It'll help him heal faster.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

So true BFC...and the number one medication I use is clean fresh dechlorinated water from daily water changes, you got to keep the bacteria as low as you can in the water to prevent secondary infection.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #4 
dipsydoodlenoodle

looking at it today; his tail looks much better. I don't think it's fin rot, I think he's possibly just snagged it. I'm keeping a very close eye on him :)
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote