Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

heaters won't hurt anything in the tank and will not burn your fish at all. Mine frequently hide/sleep behind their heaters.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #22 
xxabc

As long as the heater is properly plugged in and fully submerged (if directions say so).

Heaters are made for aquariums, so no, they will not physically burn your fish. To play safe, don't allow the heater to touch the gravel. There IS a rubberguard, but that's on the bottom for when it stands vertically. You don't need to put the water level THAT low if you need to push down the heater.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #23 
akjadestar

Well, I just took out about half his water and I'm keeping his plants in so he's not stressed and feels secure but I pushed them away so the water surface is open for him to get to. So I'll see about the heater. What kind would you recommend and can you give a link so I can see what it looks like?
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #24 
xxabc

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

I use this. It's short so it should fit your tank horizontally if you're really concerned about that. I still recommend buying an adjustable one, but I believe they're all tall.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #25 
akjadestar

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!!!!!!! !
I can't believe this!
For the first time since the accident Venus is up and swimming! I cannot believe it! And the best part? My dad and I made a bet, my dad thought he'd never be up and swimming again, and 5 minutes after making the bet, my dad went to the tank and tapped on the outside, and he got up and started swimming. So for winning the bet I got 20 bucks! So now I have 40 bucks so I could buy him a heater to help him feel better.
I'm confident he's gonna stay alive but his injuries are concerning, like his patch of scales missing on his head. I'll keep the water clean to so there's no infection. He seems a little clumsy right now, and when I tried feeding him it took a bit to get the food down.
But I can't believe this, this is surely a blessing. It was perfect timing for him to get better ^^
Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #26 
vaygirl

I'm so glad to hear that! Congrats. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #27 
akjadestar

So he'll probably live now, but I'm concerned about his missing scales. Is there medicine I can give him? Someone on a different site suggested Stress Coat.
And I'll buy a heater soon now that I got an extra 20 bucks!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think Stresscoat would hurt. It helps to protect the slimecoat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #29 
vaygirl

Kilo recently got his face stuck in a siphon tube and it ripped away a half moon shaped crescent in his head, scales and all. I only used aquarium salt and clean water and it healed just fine. It was down to the white 'meat' of his head. :( Now you can only see a faint scar. I think it took a week or two to heal? Give or take. I can't remember when I moved him.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #30 
ecoprincess

i have the same heater as xxabc. It works great! HOWEVER if you are trying to hel him an adjustable one might be better so u can raise the temp a bit higher then this ones preset! :)

YAAAAY for Venus! :) :)
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote