Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #1 
DarthMaul
Banned

Question Leave it to petco to mis-label bettas.. what is he?

Well, like the title says leave it to petco to totally mis-label bettas and then charge WAY more than they should for the mis-labeled ones. They had bettas that where like MAYBE an inch long labeled as king bettas and VT's labeled at CT's and so on. They also had, well i am not sure,... halfmoons, but as you will see in my pictures, this guy as well as the others look NOTHING like the pix of halfmoons i have seen on here. This petco stunk. The manager was so full of himself. He said that they where the BEST petco in the country for fish! LOL WOW!!! Their was about 20-30 bettas, 1 was dead, about half where ragged looking or had columnaris! =[ This betta ( after i looked at almost all of them ) and i made that "connection" though i was not sure if he was really a half moon or what he actually is, he is awesome looking and did not look like death like the other bettas did =[ so here he is! What exactly is he??

DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #2 
xxabc

... Fin rot? Defective betta-child? Raggedy combtail? (Ew, arrogancy). That's really interesting.

I would'lve gotten him. Lol :)

Oh my gosh, the betta behind your questioned betta...in the first picture...lying on his side - was he dead ??

Anyways, with what you said, I just know it's better than my Petco. Pshh.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

no, he was one of the close to dead ones =[ the dead one was to graphic to be shown :{... so what is HE lol you did not answer that part lol
Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #4 
DarthMaul
Banned

he does not have fin rot nor does he look ragged lol
Old 04-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Looks like he has fin rot to me. He's either a delta or a halfmoon.. the only way to know is to have him flare. He also has some of the worst stress stripes I've ever seen so you need to keep his tank light off for a week and put aquarium salt into his tank to help him heal.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 
xxabc

Oh, did you buy him ?? I also agree with 1f2f. Can't really tell unless he flares. I would guess it's close to a halfmoon, if not perfect? But no idea. Delta to Halfmoon, though.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #7 
DarthMaul
Banned

he does NOT have fin rot. I just shined a light on his fins and they look PERFECT. would you like to see another pic i just took? He fins have different colors and those are not stress stripes lol that is a refection on the shiny cup from my shirt haha i just looked at him and their are no stripes and i do know what they look like.. he flared, looks like, i dunno... more like a half moon, but not fully, not sure
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #8 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Oh, did you buy him ?? I also agree with 1f2f. Can't really tell unless he flares. I would guess it's close to a halfmoon, if not perfect? But no idea. Delta to Halfmoon, though.

Yes, i did buy him. He is wonderful and has some very colorful and cool looking fins. I think he could be a halfmoon. I did not know all the halfmoon pix i have seen where them flaring. I thought that's what they looked like. Also, i thought flaring was their gils? Not the entire body? i am confused haha
Old 04-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #9 
xxabc

Nope, flaring is their gills and fins. Once you see him flare, look at his end-tail. It should be a perfect D. Anything less should be delta...however if it's REALLY close I guess it could be superdelta.

And that's so weird that it's not fin rot. Actually, fin rot comes in different ways too (or so I have been told). It could just simply dissolve away. Doesn't necessarily have to look gross or have black lining.

Judging from the pictures above, that is definitely not reflection of the cup. It could just be color of the scales, but I didn't know males actually had stress stripes. All mine do are go super-pale.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #10 
DarthMaul
Banned

hmm well he did flare it was not a perfect D, but was close =] he is beautiful, i sure hope he is not sick or anything. I love this guy already. He is now in his new home and i added aquarium salt. I have looked at many pix of fin rot and have seen fin rot and it just does not look like it, i mean if it is, it is VERY minor and also... i know what stress stripes look like, i have owned 4 females. Well, it IS a reflection on the cup, i should know, i took the pix my self with an iphone, their is glare and reflections on that cup haha, he does not have those lines you see in the pix, but hey, no one has to believe me, it's fine =]