Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #1 
Kaisa

bare bottom divided tank issue

im going to be settng up my old 5 gallon bow this weekend and dividing in two..i was offered a free betta from someone on my local fish forum since she got carried away and has 11 males and is finding it hard to keep up with WC since their all in seperate tanks.. I was doing really good with not getting anymore bettas but how can one resist a free crowntail!?!?

at first i was going just use the 5g as a holding tank until a spot became available in the 4-way planted 10 gallon but what the hell- why not just divide the 5g in two and make it a permanant tank and buy another betta for the other side brining my total to 6 bettas.

I want it to be barebottom for ease of maintance but im worried because I use those homemade dividers with craft mesh and binder spines and theres always a space at the bottom corners where the fish can swim through... i need some ideas I can do to block them off??? THANKS
Kaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #2 
herbwin

I would make my own divider, get/cut some rigid plastic from a hardware store, you might find some "egg crate" (like used for ceiling lighting) with small enough holes, or drill your own. Cement in place with silicone, if you want to remove it later, just cut off the silicone with a razor blade.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Make the dividers and cover all the edges completely with the binder cover.. even if you have to cut pieces of one to cover it completely.. then silicone it to the bottom and each side.. there's no way a fish will get through that.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 
Kaisa

okies thanks then :) i will just make sure totally covered in binder spine from top to bottem. i dont think I will silicone it in though, i did it with my 10g and all 3 came unstuck anyways and the excess silicone looks terrible.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Thats your perogative but IMO without the gravel/substrate to act as stability your dividers will be easy for the fish to get through. If you use the silicon correctly it will stick and you can razor off the excess before filling the tank if aesthetics are that important.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #6 
Kaisa

i know that the gravel acts as support but i think that if i make the dividers a really tight fit it should be fine??? Im not using that flimsy craft mesh, i'll find something more stronger to use at the dollerstore. I don't really have a choise anyways to silicone or not, the fish is getting dropped off today so I dont have time to let silicone cure for a week.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

The silicone only needs 48 hours to dry.. a fish could easily be kept in a bowl or cup for a couple days
Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #8 
Kaisa

is it even possible to silicone on to acrylic? i think i read somewhere that it doesn't stick well ...

Im using that GE I 100% silicone rubber
Old 03-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

I just siliconed dividers onto my 6 gallon and they're sticking great.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #10 
Kaisa

thanks for all your help .. i just finished the divider and i really dont think it needs to be siliconed in. It fit SO snuggly and theres no way it could fall or get pushed over.

I just need to make some holes somehow and its done. It took all of 5 minutes to make.

Don't mind the dirty tank. I still gotta clean it up