Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Ugh, fin rot now?!

I know fin rot is one of the most basic diseases any betta can get and is supposed to be pretty easy to eliminate, but this is making me pull my hair out. As you guys might remember, I left for spring break then I got sick, so I wasn't able to take care of the tank like I was supposed too. As I figured, Fishy and Frusciante and Haze's fins were all a little scuffed looking when I returned. But I thought I could fix it with a big water change and some aquarium salt. Well, here I am a month later, and Frusciante's fins are shot to heck. I've cranked the heat up to about 83*, put a tab of JFC in the tank, and followed the instructions, but his fins are MELTING AWAY. I can tell a difference between now and just a few hours ago, and it's killing me. His fins were so beautiful and I've ruined them by getting sick. :( I think it's worse for him because he was healing up from shipping damage when I got him, the week before spring break. Ugh, I'm so angry at myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #2 
nochoramet

-ehem-
Please?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #3 
BerkB33

Please forgive me if I ask a ridiculous question but...does the tank have any artificial plants in it? I just experienced the same thing with my NEW VT. His fins "degraded" in minutes it seemed. Turns out my plastic hygrophillia was chopping him to bits! I know You're an experienced betta keeper but I just wanted to clear up all possibilities. Sorry if I offend you with that question.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmmm maybe he's biting his tail??
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #5 
BerkB33

I've wondered sometimes if putting the little guys in a small "cup" as lots of breeders and LFS do, if that doesn't mess with their "psychy" at all. Say he's spent 3, 4, or 8 months in a "cup." My VT swims in what I call "tiny circles" and his tail "brushes" him in the face when he does said "circles." I've witnessed him take a "chomp" at his tail during this manuver. When he was in the "cup" thats basically the only "manuver" he could make...I guess what I'm asking is; wouldn't it be possible that he's "conditioned" to move in this manner, "tiny circles", and once moved in to larger surrounding he's kinda a "Nervous Nellie" and bites his tail...like we'd bite our fingernails? Far fetched? Just takin' a stab!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 
nochoramet

Oh, no why would I take offense to that? I'm willing to listen to different opinions! I do have artificial plants, but I mean they haven't been a problem before so I'm not sure if that would be it. They passed the pantyhose test...
And I got Frusciante off of Aquabid so he hasn't been in a cup, so I don't think that's it. I'm pretty sure it's not tail biting, because his belly fin and his top fin is being affected as well. I will post a photo, but I'm pretty sure it's fin rot, and not tail biting. Chance bites his tail and it looks different.
Here's Chance when he tailbit, and here's Fru (he's very hard to get pictures of)

Last edited by nochoramet; 02-14-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #7 
nochoramet

Here's a couple more:

Last edited by nochoramet; 02-14-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would try a combo of Maracyn 1 and 2 for the finrot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #9 
nochoramet

Hmmm well is there anything wrong with using JFC? That's all I have right now. Of course, I might could buy some Maracyn 1&2 if it doesn't get better in a few weeks.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can keep using the JFC unless it's not working.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote