Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #11 
brancasterr

I like the idea of not having to buy expensive filter cartridges. Haha, and I've heard some people only run their filters from, say 8am to 8pm, then shut it off at night. Should I do this or should I let it run all the time?

Also, xxabc is your filter the one that sucks the water up and then waterfalls it back into the tank? This doesn't disturb your betta does it?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #12 
xxabc

It doesn't disturb him because the filter is very adjustable. The intake tube(?), or the curved black tube that looks like a candy cane.... when the filter is running you can pull this up and the flow will drastically decrease. You can pull it high enough so that it stops completely. So put it near minimum or however he likes it. He'll be fine. That's the main Pro of this filter.

And I leave mine on, as he doesn't sleep near the filter anyway.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #13 
jpez0917

I have an AquaClear filter which has a sponge, a pretty big bag of carbon, and some ammonia remover pellet-type things layered on top of one another. From my understanding, I can take the top two things out and just fill it with three sponges?
jpez0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #14 
brancasterr

That's what I'm hearing jpez0917. Really cuts back on the cost of maintaining a filter doesn't it?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

If your going to cycle you need to leave the filter on all the time. If your not going to cycle then you don't really have to keep it on full time.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #16 
pincushion

Just wondering also with my filter, i recently got a new male CT and i am using my recently deceased goldfish's tank and filter, which my mum and i both thoroughly cleaned everything and put in new water and everything in for him. i'm just slightly worried the filter may be a bit too strong for him, as he's still quite small, my tank is about 2.3 gallons and i'm not sure of the specifics of the filter as i don't have the papers anymore, but it doesn't seem to be too powerful. just wondering whether this is okay for a young betta?
pincushion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #17 
xxabc

Well if you have to watch for it yourself. Is he getting pushed over, even slightly? Sometimes do you find him in a corner, opposite of the filter (mine has been doing this lately, and I found out I put the filter too strong. I fix it, minutes later he's out and about again). This probably screams "fix the filter.", unless he's just chillaxing.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #18 
pincushion

what do you mean by fix the filter? he doesn't seem to be always on the other side of the tank, unless he's bugging the snail thats in there with him :/
pincushion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #19 
brancasterr

By fix the filter he meant adjust the flow rate. Depending on the filter you can do many things to achieve a lower flow rate. On mine I can simply lift up the intake tube a few centimeters and the flow rate drops drastically. Then I would tie it or prop it in position so it would stay that way. However, other filters require more mechanical buffering (from what I understand) and this shouldn't be toooo difficult but I know nothing about it. There are plenty of people on this forum that do though. :) I would post your filter model and let someone explain how to adjust the flow rate. Provided the "life the intake tube" method doesn't work for you.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #20 
xxabc

Yes, that's what I meant. (And I'm also a girl :) )

Some people stick sponges directly into the outflow of the filter. Some people stick sponges/filterfloss/pantyhose onto the tubing (where water is sucked in). Some people use a water bottle (cut). These are just few suggestions...I have the same filter as brancasterr, so I've never made one of these before.