Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #1 
roadrunner

Ok, I have fry, now what?

Hello there, I'm fairly new to this forum but I've had bettas for years now. Sorry if I'm repeating the thread.
I tried to breed them once, but I wasn't successful. I was just wondering what do you do with the fry after they are old enough and need to be separated (in case I decide to give it another try). I read you can have up to 200+ babies (of course not all survive) but you may end up with 20-30 fish anyway. What do you usually do with them? I love them but I simply will not be able to keep that many. Do other betta lovers usually adopt them or do you try to sell them to pet stores? I'm not looking to make a buck here, I just want the experience. The way I know myself, I will fall in love with all of them and just keep them all!

Last edited by roadrunner; 04-08-2010 at 11:37 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You have to be willing to put the time and money into breeding.. that includes possibly having to cull fish and find homes for the rest.

IMO anyone who breeds fish and gives them to petstores has no business breeding. You have to find people who adopt fish or try to sell them. Unless your breeding really nice fish I doubt you'll be able to sell them on aquabid.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 
Sella

I had this same thought as well. We see so many homless unhealthy fish in the petstores/megastores in deathcups that we all so hate, and yet there are so many people breeding their bettas it makes me wonder what you are all doing with the fish??
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #4 
DarthMaul
Banned

first off people PLEASE go back and re-read what was posted it CLEARLY states that roadrunner did not just breed and has a bunch of fry, roadrunner is "thinking" of doing it again and wants to know what people do with the fry after they breed. Just a harmless post. We all love bettas but don't let your passion for them cause you to jump all over someone that has posted something they may not be up to your own "PERSONAL" preference... just saying :D
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

No one is jumping on anyone. Its a simple fact breeding should not be taken lightly and anyone who gives their fish to petstores shouldn't be breeding.

I listed several ways to get rid of fish including adopting, selling, culling, and giving away.. all of which answered his question.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad that roadrunner asked ahead of time what to do with the fry. It is important to breed responsibly, have a plan for what to do with the fry and not bring all those baby fish into the world so they can die. It irks me to no end when people come on here saying "I put my male and female together in a 1 gallon bowl and now I have babies! What do I do?"
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #7 
Sella

I did read that post clearly and I know he didn't just breed a bunch of fish, which is why I wrote 'I had this same thought as well' meaning I also wondered what people do with all babies!
Re-read my post again and see that I wasn't picking on anyone in specific, just a generalized question!
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #8 
SweetnSpicy

I have a really small spawn, probably no more than 35, and I know at least 10-15 will have homes with family and friends. I also know that I could trade with my LFS, which takes great care of all of their fish, for store credit. I do not think it is being a bad breeder if you sell/trade to a pet store, where you KNOW that they know their stuff. To me, I would compare it to adopting out or selling online, you have no clue how these people care for their fish, they could be lying through their teeth, just to get a good fish. This is just my personal opinion, so I would take it with a grain of salt :P

dramaqueen - I hate that, too! I think I did enough research on here, google, and probably 100's of others, and I had to do SO many tries at this, but some one who bred them in a 1 GALLON BOWL, gets fry? Plus, it just shows that they didn't look into this before starting, and most of the time, the fry would die.
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnSpicy View Post
I also know that I could trade with my LFS, which takes great care of all of their fish, for store credit. I do not think it is being a bad breeder if you sell/trade to a pet store, where you KNOW that they know their stuff. To me, I would compare it to adopting out or selling online, you have no clue how these people care for their fish, they could be lying through their teeth, just to get a good fish. This is just my personal opinion, so I would take it with a grain of salt :P

I get what your saying but here's my reasoning :) Most people are not going to pay the money + shipping for a nice fish off aquabid and not take care of it. Whereas any old joe can walk in the store and buy a fish and put it in a vase.. even if the store advised the correct treatment.. there is always going to be someone who thinks they know everything.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #10 
SweetnSpicy

I understand where you are coming from, too :) There would be no way I would let any of my fish rot in a vase, Especially my Imports that cost me an arm and a leg. But, I know to the average fish owner, the one who feeds their bettas flakes, and does water changes once a month, they would not go out and spend $50 on imports, and then $50 for shipping. I know plenty of people who are "fish experts" because "all you have to do is stick them in water and feed them" *sigh*
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote