Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #11 
Labeledsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
id try corys. a cave for the betta and 3 small corys would do it.
corys are also very entertaining and fun to watch so would deffo add to the tank. also, they're fast swimmers so no fear of the betta causing them problems and they are totally placid and friendly. no danger to nemo either
yeah its seeming like corys are the best way to go, i was wondering though i know you should school them in atleast 3's but can you mix like the types like a albino and regular or do you need 3 of each type

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Nice looking tank (: As I was reading I saw someone mention plecos, and I just though I'd warn you (in case you didn't know) plecos can grow to be HUGE, and most require a 55 gallon tank. Somehow, pet stores manage to push them off as the ideal cleaning fish, choosing to ignore their size.
I'd say go with cories or ghost shrimp. While ghost shrimp sometimes get eaten, they're relatively cheap (so start out with one or two before buying a boatload of them!). I've also heard that both cories and shrimp are very sensitive to water fluctuations, so the tank must be stable before adding them in. Good luck on your adventure! It will surely be just that, seeing as bettas are always giving you a run for your money :P Everyone has given you great advice about the tank, and a little bit of extra tweaking will make it a home worth getting jealous over.
thanks. yeah i knew some on the plecos about them needing large sized tanks. i kinda think plecos are ugly (no offence to anyone that has them) only ones i like are the zebra ones but dont have that kinda money to spend on them lol.
i did go and get a "cave type" log that i have pics of below wich should help

also do you think it would be over crowding to have both corys and shrimp?

now all i have to take care of is slowing down the current fro mthe filter (tetra 5-15) and getting some new bulbs so the water temp doesnt fluxuate as much

thanks for everyones input so far, and now for pics

Labeledsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #12 
doggyhog

Looks very very nice!!!

I'd personally wait a few months to add Cories. Sensitive little guys they are!

Stay away from Otos, because they are extremely sensitive and picky eaters. Don't get them unless you have a really bad algae problem.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #13 
Labeledsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Looks very very nice!!!

I'd personally wait a few months to add Cories. Sensitive little guys they are!

Stay away from Otos, because they are extremely sensitive and picky eaters. Don't get them unless you have a really bad algae problem.

thanks, yeah i was going ot wait a bit after getting nemo in there, might get a few shrimps but duno when.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #14 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Do you need the light on all day if the tank gets light anyway? Can you not just put the lights on for a few hours in the evening.

Definately don't get a pleco - CodeRed said about them needing a 55gallon tank - I think they need bigger but thats not the point; don't get one. I have one - he's 4 inches at the minute in a 45 gallon but I'm going to need a swimming pool for him when he gets fully grown. :O i just noticed Labeledsk8r said they were ugly - I agree; I only got one cos I thought it was ugly but actually the more you see them the prettier they get.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #15 
Labeledsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodlenoodle View Post
Do you need the light on all day if the tank gets light anyway? Can you not just put the lights on for a few hours in the evening.

Definately don't get a pleco - CodeRed said about them needing a 55gallon tank - I think they need bigger but thats not the point; don't get one. I have one - he's 4 inches at the minute in a 45 gallon but I'm going to need a swimming pool for him when he gets fully grown. :O i just noticed Labeledsk8r said they were ugly - I agree; I only got one cos I thought it was ugly but actually the more you see them the prettier they get.

the tank is in a darker side of the house, i just removed one of the 2 bulbs and it seems to be helping and still has enough lite

on a side note i think my cycleing is finely done all the levels have leveled off
Old 04-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #16 
Labeledsk8r

well as an update nemo has been in the tnak for a few weeks now was doing great. sorry for not getting any pics up just been bussy with work

even though it was recomened to wait a bit before getting corrys i decided to go with them and use a food pellets for additional food. 3 small (about 1/3rd the size of nemo) pepperd corrys, so far im haveing mixed feelings. nemo has flared at them and chased them a few times but hasnt nipped at them, but it seems he is getting agrivated. nemo has allways been a kinda lazy fish and likes to chill at the bottom of the tank alot (even more so at night) but it seems even after chaeing the corys out of his "spot" they just swim back up threw, nemo wll move to another part of the tank and they will follow him. i dont think the corrys are in danger anymore really but i feel like it might be stressing him out? dunno mayby its to early to tell but right now he is resting in a plant wich he has never (in the almost 2 years i have owned him) rested in a plant, dunno wait and see i guess