Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 
Tinthalas Tigris

Brag: 28Gallon & Craigslist

Since I spend more time posting here than I do on TFK Main, I decided to do my bragging here.

I'd been watching an advert on craigslist for a "28g Cracked Aquarium $50 OBO."

I had e-mailed the lady about the crack. It was in the hood - SCORE. I decided to watch it until the "$50" and "OBO" Separated, and all that was left was "Best Offer."

I gave her a call, she still had it, and I managed to pickup not only a 28G bow front glass aquarium (The Marineland 28 Bow front), matching filter and heater, the matching STAND, over $100 in chemicals and cleaning equipment, another $100 worth of ornaments, and at least another $50 in various fish foods and fish treats.

Thank YOU craigslist!
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #2 
CataclysmKitten

seems like you got a sweet deal there!
CataclysmKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #3 
Kittles

Somebody alert the police. We have a thief among us!
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #4 
BerkB33

WOW! Pay dirt!!!!!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #5 
doggyhog

What a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOooooo jealous!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

I didn't want to go to work today. I just wanted to sit in front of my new toy and vegetate.

I'm trying a new setup with this one; Kitty Litter substrate with playsand topsoil on top of it.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #7 
Starbright

Wow! An amazing steal! Why the heck would the lazy give that up?! I'm so jealous!! Man I'm currently vegetating infront of my 2.5 gallon minibow... I cant even imagine what it'd be like with a tank 11x the size!!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #8 
Tinthalas Tigris

She was a really nice lady.

She fell on hard times, got laid off, her boyfriend got laid off, she had dogs that needed alot of medicine and her favorite fish got killed by her cichlid she introduced.

Long story short, she got really upset with the cichlid that she got and wanted to get rid of the tank immediately.

Lucky, lucky, lucky me.

I do love you guys, though. 8)
Old 04-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #9 
Tinthalas Tigris

I used my security webcam to take these. Not the fastest USB, Not the fastest Computer, and not the fastest webcam, but I cured my curiousity of its capability when used for other than motion security capture, and was able to share this.

Also, yes, No audio on the video, but ... maybe another day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOTWg_66FuA

Pics:

The video:

I took a couple snack sandwich bags, perferated them delicately with a fork, and scooped up gravel from the tank that all these fish migrated from and put it in this, so that HOPEFULLY, some of that nitro and ammonia spora will migrate.

I've never done this before, and read previously that *pantyhose* is a good medium to put your gravel in when cloning a tank's beneficial bacteria. My wife would kill me without even room for an explanation if I tried even experimenting with her underoos in such a way.

I created an incline with the aid of the kitty litter. Many prefer the flat substrate approach, and I did that for my first aquarium, but I realized the additional surface area with an incline, and realize there is a better viewing angle for those who choose to look into the aquarium. I actually sort of wish I made it more extreme, but I might have to take that at a different approach if the kitty litter fails; ideally, I would like a 45 degree grade. It is currently at a 12 degree.

I am a big fan of the terra cotta pots, but not in whole form. I broke apart a terra cotta pot and placed it in my 10 gallon tank. In transfering everything to this new one, I moved the broken terra cotta pot and scattered it within the sand. That is the reddish orange. I might change my mind on it later.

Now that I have a larger canvas to work with I really am reconsidering the scheme I had and wanted to progress to with a larger tank. But, this is all experimentation, and I will only learn with experience.

My only *Shame* in this tank, is the beautiful looking rock on the left of the tank. Where did I get it right? Yeah, it is plastic, and I really hate that it is plastic, because the plants that are embedded into it are also plastic. I'm leaving it in there for all the beneficial bacteria that were on it after taking it from the lady who gave me the aquarium. As soon as I can find an adequate replacement (preferably driftwood) it is GONE.

It has some holes in it that I don't like, and I have them covered. You can barely make out a gigantic glass marble covering one of the holes in the top. I doubt any of the fish would get stuck in there, but i'm sure onf of the curious shrimp could.

Well, folks, there you have it. In closing, my 10 gallon tank. Currenly holding some ludwigia, an otocinclus, and an apongeton bulb.

After everything migrates over, I am going to make it into a various shrimp-only and fry tank. I've pondered the idea of finally getting a male betta and putting it in there too.

We'll see.