Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #1 
Cyrmu

Thinking about getting a betta

Hi. I have been thinking about getting a betta, I think they are fabulous fish and would really like to own one. The only problem is, is that I dont really have the money to buy expensive equipment. I have been doing research today and read quite a few times that bettas can be kept in bowls without heaters as long as the water is chlorine free and changed weekly. Could I do this?

Thanks
Cyrmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 
Kittles

It all depends.

How big is the bowl? This would determine how often a water change would have to be performed. 2.5 Gallons is usually recommended, and even then you'd still be doing ~2 water changes a week. You'll also need water conditioner.

How warm is your environment? This would determine whether a heater is needed or not. Betta's are tropical fish and thrive in warmer temperatures from 76-82F that are stable. So unless your house is a furnace, a heater is recommended.

As far as expenses, you can find an appropriately sized tank and heater on craigslist, aquabid, walmart or any other local pet store for a reasonable price. Fishkeeping isn't cheap and you'll have to invest a bit to provide adequately.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 
Mitsufishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrmu View Post
Hi. I have been thinking about getting a betta, I think they are fabulous fish and would really like to own one. The only problem is, is that I dont really have the money to buy expensive equipment. I have been doing research today and read quite a few times that bettas can be kept in bowls without heaters as long as the water is chlorine free and changed weekly. Could I do this?

Thanks
a "BOWL" would probably need to have daily water changes. When you say expensive what does that mean to you? I got a 2.5 with the filter, and cartriages, and a light all for 19.00 at walmart. A thermometer was only 1.50. You can slowly get a heater and decorative stuff
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #4 
Cyrmu

Anything over 40 I guess would be expensive. From what Kittles said I assumed a heater is vital.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #5 
Mitsufishi

A heater is essential, I only paid 6dollars for my heater though. so total

19-tank w filter and light(came with food and conditioner)
1.50- thermomter
6-heater

26.50 to get me started and good for a few months

After that I upgraded to betta pellets, stress coat as my conditioner.
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 
Kittles

Well, colder temperatures do stress them out. Hence, why you never see a lively betta at your pet store when contained in those 2 pint cups.

EDIT - There's a Walmart Tetra heater that several members use for their smaller tanks. I can only imagine it being ~10 dollars. Does Walmart exist in Europe? Should you be unable to purchase that, there is also the Hydor Mini Heater which I've used and kept the tank 78.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #7 
Cyrmu

No we dont have a Walmart in the UK but I'm sure I could find all the equipment for a reasonable price some place.

Are betta fish difficult to take care of? also from researching I read that Betta fish can't live together or with other fish that are colourful and have long fins. Is this true?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #8 
Kittles

Mm, yes. Male bettas cannot live together as they are incredibly aggressive towards each other. The only way to house bettas together would be single a male and female specifically for breeding, or an all female sorority - but even then the risk of conflict is still present.

As for the brightly colored fish, some do tend to agitate or provoke bettas. Depends entirely on your fish's personality.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #9 
Cyrmu

So buying a male and a female at the same time for the same tank would be a real bad decision? lol
Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #10 
Kittles

I'd say so. Apparently females can become pretty aggressive themselves and will shred the male.