Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #1 
doughnut

Smile filtration possibilities

Hey all I've a betta fish in a 2g tank, and I'd really like a small filter for it. I'm pretty sure anything that I could get at the lfs would be too big, cause too much water movement, and in the case of a HOB filter I'd have to remove the lid. So that pretty much leaves me with a DIY sponge type filter. I've googled it, watched stuff on youtube, and all that but everything I find looks.....down right ugly haha. Would anyone know of a good filter set up that actually looks decent and doesn't flow tooo much water? (and possibly explain it because some of the stuff I've already looked at just doesn't make sence..)

Thanks all!
Doughnut
doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

On my 3g and smaller beta only planted tank I don't even use filters, IMO regardless of filtration type you still need to do regular water changes of at least twice weekly 50% on anything 6g or less and more often on the 3g or less without active growing stem plants to prevent health and fin issues with this species.
Filtration on 3g and less IMO is a personal choice but it does not change the fact that water changes still need to be made....nitrogen cycling per se' will not happen without the added/needed oxygen from filtration/aeration but it does not matter due to the water changes needed IMO/E to keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate within normal/safe levels
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I agree with OFL. You would still need to do weekly water changes.

BUT.. I have cycled my smaller tanks and it is a lifesaver in situations where I can't do a water change (i.e. going home for a week for a break). Having a filter and cycling gives you a little leeway in certain situations to skip a change every so often (still at the risk of your fish). You should still do weekly water changes but if something were to come up its nice to know you have a cycle to keep your levels down.

For a two gallon tank I would either get a penn plaxx small world filter or a hagen mini filter (that can be found at petsmart). The SWF can be found offline and is very cheap (I paid about $13 for two filters PLUS shipping off amazon.com).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #4 
doughnut

I absolutely would continue to do twice weekly roughly 50% pwc. I wouldn't get lax in that area at all. I just don't like the small particles in the water that the gravel vac doesn't get. Would a small filter for a 2-3g tank do any harm to a betta? Other then mess up the bubble nest?

Thanks
doughnut
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

nope it shouldn't do any harm at all. Putting pantyhose over the intake (or a sponge) will keep his fins from getting sucked it but besides that a filter shouldn't hurt anything.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #6 
doughnut

Talking

hehehe how about this brain storm... alright so what I'm thinking is cut some sort of foam or sponge into a triangle(so it'll fit in the cornor, and to help it kinda blend in I'll use a color that matches my gravel), place a sort of lift tube in it about mid way to 3/4 down(possibly 3/4" diameter clear tubing so that its not too noticeable) . Above the sponge drill holes into the tube to let the water passing through the sponge escape. To cause the water to flow through the assembly use an air pump and stone incerted into the tube, the bubbles going up through the tube cause the water to rise and pass through the holes and be replaced/displaced by water elsewhere in the tank. OK so that all sounds normal to me..but thats gonna cause surface agitation right? Well what if I carried that lift tube all the way above the surface of the water? The bubbles will break the surface within the tube and not cause a lot of water movement at the surface ...right? Is this what everybody does? ha did I miss something here?

gemme your opinions and feedback!

Thanks!
doughnut
Old 04-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #7 
doughnut

Bump. I did double post this in the DIY section to get a few more thoughts about the plan I had. In searching through other posts I have seen people say that you want the top of the tube under the surface of the water. Why would that be?

doughnut