Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #1 
puddin

Smile Need a filter in a 5 gallon tank?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but not to fish. I currently have 6 tanks as I am breeding guppies to sell. Along the way I purchased my first betta and fell in love with the fish. I now have 2 betta's, one in a 10 gallon with some guppies, and another in a 3 gallon eclipse by himself.

My daughter wants to pick our her own betta for her room and I do have an empty 5 gallon tank and an extra heater on hand. I also have an air pump available and can set it on low to high. Do I need to purchase a filter?

I am very faithful with my water changes. My baby guppies get one every second day to help speed their growth so it wouldn't be much more work to do extra water changes on the new betta tank.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to being part of this forum!

Deeann
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.You don't have to have a filter if you are doing frequent water changes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #3 
nacho

How about a sponge filter since you already have an air pump? :) I'm a noob, please let someone else confirm.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 
2brown347

Personally I really don't like large water changes, not due to laziness or anything but in my experience fish are happier/healthier in cycled tanks compared to uncycled tanks with frequent major water changes.

For my bettas I just use sponge filters. They don't produce lots of waste so keeping the water clear can be done through your water changes. The sponge filter will do it's job in establishing bacteria, and IMO are very under-rated even for large tanks. (obviously most aquarium stocks are not suited for just sponge filters)
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #5 
xxabc

If you'd like a filter, I would definitely say make yourself a sponge filter. DIY projects can also be quite fun as well, very relaxing.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #6 
puddin

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was curious to see if anyone else doesn't use a filter. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #7 
Sella

I've got a 5.5gallon tank.. I just made a different thread about it last night actually. Anyway
I don't use a filter, I've got about 8 plants in there and I change the water once a week. I do water checks a couple times a week (I'm trying to cycle another tank, a 3 gallon tank and it's a pain in the butt) so I'm using the API Ammonia liquid test and so far I've had no readings of ammonia in my 5 gallon uncycled non filtered planted betta tank.

Last edited by Sella; 04-06-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake! AH!
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #8 
ecoprincess

Moved my betta from a 1/2gal to a 5gal - had to remove the filter as my betta was not impressed with it....lol

I havnt quite figured out "cycling" so i am doing full water changes once a week and partial water changes almost daily. Seems fine....testing water twice a week and its been good.

I dont think its necessary.
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #9 
puddin

Thanks everyone, just a another quick question, does the water get cloudy without a filter?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine doesn't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote