Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #1 
newfishmom

PetSmart...GRRRRR

Went to PetSmart to buy Peeps heater late Saturday night. Had to stop and look at the Bettas It was TERRIBLE. Ucky water and what really gets me is the top shelf of Bettas stacked ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. The air hole on the lids covered up. I don't know how many were dead or dieing! I said something rather LOUDLY about the terrible conditions but they just looked at me like I was nuts. Saturday they have dogs and cats from the pound and they are really pushing those but still....

Why can't they come up with a cup with cut outs around the top part and not the lid with the cut out? That would save some lives don't you think?
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #2 
herbwin

Next time, try speaking politely to the fish person about it. You might start off with, "Hi, I raise bettas and I noticed...". They might not care and blow you off but chances are they are well meaning, just misinformed or undereducated about the fish's needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Petsmart has gotten worse lately about the care of their bettas. I think this one girl is in charge and she doesn't seem to be doing her job very well. I've seen dirty cups and several dead bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #4 
doggyhog

My Petsmart's problem is SBD! Oh my gosh... there's so many with it. Once I saw them feeding I knew why. D:
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #5 
newfishmom

herbwin - you are right. But, when you ask and ask for help and keep getting the "be right back" after awhile you just get fed up. I was in a hurry when I was in there and I did lose my cool quick I guess. When I checked out the gal there seemed nice and I told her how disappointed I was with the up keep on the Bettas was and she said she would tell someone. But she acted shocked that I said anything about it. Like I was a nut.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Next time don't go to the employee.. they're worthless. Go straight to a manager.. or worse ask the employee to get a manager and tell him/her that the treatment of these fish is unacceptable and if something isn't changed they are going to lose a lot of good business. Explain to them that healthy active fish sell more quickly than dead and dieing ones and by simply doing better water changes and feeding less often they can make much more profit on their fish.

If you don't see improvement after talking with a manager report the store to corporate.. that will really get their attention.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #7 
Ariel1719

oh man, yesturday when i went to my petsmart, there were FOUR betta's in a small little cup with an inch of water, all were still alive, but they were all very badly injured.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Ask them why they don't practice what they teach...humane treatment of all animals......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #9 
TigerLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Ask them why they don't practice what they teach...humane treatment of all animals......
This.

I forget whether it is Petsmart or Petco, but I know one of them uses the motto "We love to see healthy, happy pets". Nothing hits harder than calling them out on their own words and the threat of losing business all at the same time.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

thats the petsmart logo.. I'm positive (no petcos around here)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote