Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #1 
xgoingdownx

Thumbs down "It's just a fish..."

Does anyone else get that phrase from people? My roommate [and best friend] says this to me all the time about Admiral Finns. [Simply because I have to keep buying stuff for him... he can be such a sick little boy] It's as if she doesn't want me to take proper care of him!

This phrase just drives me crazy! Fish are pets like a cat or a dog, so I don't see why people think they're so expendable or easily thrown away.

I once had a fantail goldfish for about a day or two and he mysteriously died on me [no sign of illness] and I cried almost all day about it. I don't understand how some people can be so insensitive about our fish babies. :(
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #2 
Pasfur

I'm the same way. I don't understand how anyone can be a Wildcat fan. It just doesn't make sense.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 
xgoingdownx

Hah... I'm a Wildcat fan- I assume you're a Cardinals fan? [judging by the fact that you, also, are from Louisville]
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #4 
Noko

I will cry for a few hours, and then feel bad for the next day if one of my fishies die. I don't cry for days and days like I would if one of my dogs died. I just can't get as close to a fish as a dog or a cat. I still treat them with care and spend money on them if needed. I don't just assume they will die if something goes wrong either.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't see how anyone can be a Wildcat OR a Cardinal fan. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I don't even know what Wildcats or Cardinals are, lol.

I cry when I lose a fish, too. i agree with Noko though, I'd be a lot worse off if my cat died. I love my fish, though, so it annoys me when people say things like that. I bought the fish, so of course I'm going to take care of it and give it what it deserves.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Kentucky basketball. lol
Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #8 
xgoingdownx

[It's a local thing- rivalry between the two major Universities. We're basketball people here in KY]
And I suppose what I really meant is just that I hate it when people say things that way. Yeah, I still get really sad thinking about my past dogs or cats, but I can't say I feel the same about fish.
I just hate it when people know that there may be something wrong with a fish and yet let it go to die or just flush it because it's not acting normal. I know the life expectancy of a fish can be a couple of years, not just a couple of months, and I'd like to see the fish live that long.
I just spent $10.58 on more medicine for AF because he apparently was infected with more things than I thought... [bought him from Wal-Mart so there's no real surprise that he an some sort of illness]
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #9 
Emmilyy

Oh i understand completely how you feel! I'm not going to lie and say that *I* myself get super upset when one of my fish dies, even though i do get sad, but i can understand how other people can!

I get "Its just a bird" about my parrot all the time. She may be 'just a bird' but i like her awhile lot more than some of the people who say that too me! You're right - most people do the absalute minimum the need to care for a pet - and don't understand why some of us go out of our ways to make sure they get the best care possible!
Emmilyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some people just don't get attached to animals the way we do. To them, fish aren't living, breathing beings like a dog or cat.